Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've had a few people say that I drink too much, and that having a few beers when I get home every night isn't good, but I'm not really sure to be honest. I've been brought up around most of my family who drink a lot, and so have kind of just got used to it...
    When I don't have work, I won't drink before 12, maybe have a pint or two at lunch, and then a few when I get home, and maybe a G&T or two... Friday/Saturday nights are heavier, when I'm out with work... Uni is a lot worse, and sometimes start drinking in the morning.. I'd say it definitely helps with my depression, and if i'm having a bad patch just helps me get through the day without being a total recluse...

A lot of people do drink way more than the recommended amount which is why I'm not really sure if what I drink is too much!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've had a few people say that I drink too much, and that having a few beers when I get home every night isn't good, but I'm not really sure to be honest. I've been brought up around most of my family who drink a lot, and so have kind of just got used to it...
    When I don't have work, I won't drink before 12, maybe have a pint or two at lunch, and then a few when I get home, and maybe a G&T or two... Friday/Saturday nights are heavier, when I'm out with work... Uni is a lot worse, and sometimes start drinking in the morning.. I'd say it definitely helps with my depression, and if i'm having a bad patch just helps me get through the day without being a total recluse...

A lot of people do drink way more than the recommended amount which is why I'm not really sure if what I drink is too much!?
    Yes, I would say this is quite a lot. It's not the amount you're taking in each time, it's more the consistency over an extended period. Drinking that much every day for say 5 years for example is going to have a negative effect. Something like this could develop into dependency as well I imagine.

(Original post by Elastichedgehog)
    Yes, I would say this is quite a lot. It's not the amount you're taking in each time, it's more the consistency over an extended period. Drinking that much every day for say 5 years for example is going to have a negative effect. Something like this could develop into dependency as well I imagine.
    Thanks for the reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for the reply.
    Talk to your GP about it if you're concerned

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.