Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting at a Big 4 firm on Monday, and I'm a little nervous about how I'm gonna make friends. My office is big, so there's around 100 new joiners coming in with me. With that sort of number, I keep thinking that it'll more be the case that I know a lot of people but aren't very close to them, as by friends I mean people that you're close to. I'm an outgoing guy, always been popular in uni and college but work is a pretty different environment and you can't really bond in the same ways. Am I just being silly? How did you guys make friends at work?

ReputationRep:
    dw, youll make friends when you get there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Light Venom)
    dw, youll make friends when you get there.
    Have you had experience with this kinda thing before? I don't know why I'm stressing over it, I've always found it pretty easy to make friends but I'm just worried about the sheer number of people, and the work environment as a whole not being the ideal place to bond with others.

ReputationRep:
    Its not school u dont need friends at work

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ultimately, you are there to do a job, not make friends. It is a different environment from Uni and always will be.

I'm speaking as an "old" person in my forties and I run my own business these days. Whilst it is important to be friendly towards your colleagues - teams work best when colleagues get along with one another and respect one another professionally, but a good balance between your work life and private life is equally important. Your friends are your friends; your colleagues are your colleagues.

Jobs come and go and at the end of the day, you will want to advance your own career. It can prove a hindrance later when you discover that you have formed emotional bonds, yet find yourself unable to move on from a job and seek better opportunities. Careers do stall and stagnate that way and in today's job market, you can never count on job security. Always better to keep your eye on the horizon, scanning for your next opportunity.

The other plus side is that it keeps you out of messy office politics!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superman Punch)
    I'm starting at a Big 4 firm on Monday, and I'm a little nervous about how I'm gonna make friends. My office is big, so there's around 100 new joiners coming in with me. With that sort of number, I keep thinking that it'll more be the case that I know a lot of people but aren't very close to them, as by friends I mean people that you're close to. I'm an outgoing guy, always been popular in uni and college but work is a pretty different environment and you can't really bond in the same ways. Am I just being silly? How did you guys make friends at work?
    Hello there, thats interesting, Im thinking of joining the big 4 too, mainly kpmg or pwc at reading/Birmingham, which big 4 and city are you at?

The environment is different yes but the 'ways' are generally the same. keep your outgoingness and bond over breaks and small things.

good luck

:holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veet Voojagig)
    Ultimately, you are there to do a job, not make friends. It is a different environment from Uni and always will be.

I'm speaking as an "old" person in my forties and I run my own business these days. Whilst it is important to be friendly towards your colleagues - teams work best when colleagues get along with one another and respect one another professionally, but a good balance between your work life and private life is equally important. Your friends are your friends; your colleagues are your colleagues.

Jobs come and go and at the end of the day, you will want to advance your own career. It can prove a hindrance later when you discover that you have formed emotional bonds, yet find yourself unable to move on from a job and seek better opportunities. Careers do stall and stagnate that way and in today's job market, you can never count on job security. Always better to keep your eye on the horizon, scanning for your next opportunity.

The other plus side is that it keeps you out of messy office politics!
    The problem is that I'm neither in my home city or uni city, so I literally only know 2/3 people. Makes it harder to do as you say as not making friends at work would leave me basically friendless!

I am open to moving but I do see my long-term future here, advantage of working in a big 4 firm is that even if you feel like you're stagnating in one sector, you can move within the company to another.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 11, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.