Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am currently looking into universities for 2017/2018 entry and so far Plymouth is my favourite that I've seen. Can any current/former students share their honest views of what they think of the uni?

How have you found the uni facilities, course, lecturers, accommodation and the uni and Plymouth as a whole?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Ive studied in Southampton and Plymouth and Plymouth is amazing imo.

Nice accomodation, great area with lots going on. It feels safe as well, the amount of times someone turned up to class in Southampton with no shoes on because they got mugged on the way was silly.

Accomodation is cheap as well for what you get, work is the only downside. Its hard to get something thats not minimum wage on a 0 hours contract.

The uni itself is pure class, clean and some great facilities. The library is immense and 24 hour, free swimming for uni students three times a week, subsidised climbing lessons as well (about £4 a go I think) at the life centre. Dartmoor search and rescue do some great walks around dartmoor if thats your thing.

They have some famous lecurers here, one of the geology lectures is always on TV and i havent had any 'duff' lessons like I did at Southampton. I had to use all the hardship facilities last year and the uni were very supportive. In general I have found that the people in Devon and Cornwall have got the right idea, they are far more laid back about things and its a chilled pace of life.

I couldnt recommend it enough actually its a great place to study, my course is only run at three unis so i dont have much choice but if I can find a job in shipping here that pays I might stay.

Check bryce properties for accomodation if you dont want halls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r4dly)
    Ive studied in Southampton and Plymouth and Plymouth is amazing imo.Nice accomodation, great area with lots going on. It feels safe as well, the amount of times someone turned up to class in Southampton with no shoes on because they got mugged on the way was silly. Accomodation is cheap as well for what you get, work is the only downside. Its hard to get something thats not minimum wage on a 0 hours contract.The uni itself is pure class, clean and some great facilities. The library is immense and 24 hour, free swimming for uni students three times a week, subsidised climbing lessons as well (about £4 a go I think) at the life centre. Dartmoor search and rescue do some great walks around dartmoor if thats your thing.They have some famous lecurers here, one of the geology lectures is always on TV and i havent had any 'duff' lessons like I did at Southampton. I had to use all the hardship facilities last year and the uni were very supportive. In general I have found that the people in Devon and Cornwall have got the right idea, they are far more laid back about things and its a chilled pace of life. I couldnt recommend it enough actually its a great place to study, my course is only run at three unis so i dont have much choice but if I can find a job in shipping here that pays I might stay. Check bryce properties for accomodation if you dont want halls.
    Thanks for your insight I really loved the area from what I saw of it on the open day and the uni and facilities are great. I have been to a few other open days and noticed that although prices are similar to Plymouth accommodation wise, I haven't found that you get as much for your money (only managed to view a small portion of the accommodation at the uni but the other halls available look lovely online). Have you lived in halls and if so how did you find it? Also how have you found the student union and careers services? Sorry for all the questions - just wanted to get a current student's perspective! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    My Brother lived in Radnor halls last year, and his g/f lived in Robins. Both were similar, there is a noisey pub outside Radnor so you would probably want to check where your room is if you were there. I beleive there is a new halls open this year that looks really amazing. Only downside is you take responsibility for everyone else, for example my brothers girlfriend lived on the ground floor of Robins, people coming back from town throw up in the lift or stairs and the whole block has to pay the cleaning bill! Even if you dont use the lift or stairs :/ Im a mature student so I dont like the impersonal nature of halls, you're treated like a sheep but if you want to get to know people and get in the party atmosphere its great.

The student union is very nice, modern, lots if pool tables, tvs etc. Couple of the guys in my house do open mike night and its always a good night out.

As far as careers go you just have to network and go to the open days, Exeter uni is only an hour away and their careers day is very good.
    Im a year behind the guys I started with and ive noticed the people that went for Graduate schemes rather than a job have gone furthur since leaving. Aldi is one of the best graduate schemes around atm, 40,000 and a BMW (last time I looked) within 3 years if you perform. Im doing a maritime degree and it beats anything on offer hands down. All my best offers in shipping have come from work experience, just phone companies you're interested in and ask if you can do a weeks work experience...networking is essential at uni if you want it, go get it, I think most of the students enjoy and pass uni but dont get the most out of it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Plymouth University resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.