The Student Room Group

How to find a Weekend Job

Ok this may sound dumb however I have just finished my GCSEs and want to work part time on weekends whilst doing my A-levels however I cant find how you get one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by JMF1
Ok this may sound dumb however I have just finished my GCSEs and want to work part time on weekends whilst doing my A-levels however I cant find how you get one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not dumb at all! I've seen quite a few weekend jobs at Primark being advertised on their recruitment website. Other than that, hand in a CV and cover letter to cafes, restaurants, pubs, and small shops. These will be the most likely to take on someone at your age with your schedule
where are you based, you could work for me, Im 19 so we will have alot of common.

I service cars etc... i can teach you and everythin no problems, but it depends where you are based at.

Ill give you 20 percent of my profits and once you become experienced, the wages will go up.

In an average day i make amount 200 in 2 hours ( i only work 2 hours and sometimes 2-4 hours per day).
Original post by Light Venom
where are you based, you could work for me, Im 19 so we will have alot of common.

I service cars etc... i can teach you and everythin no problems, but it depends where you are based at.

Ill give you 20 percent of my profits and once you become experienced, the wages will go up.

In an average day i make amount 200 in 2 hours ( i only work 2 hours and sometimes 2-4 hours per day).

Hey I'm really interested in this, i live in the UK, Peterborough. Also I'm exactly in the same position as him
Original post by zerin19999
Hey I'm really interested in this, i live in the UK, Peterborough. Also I'm exactly in the same position as him

way too far bro.

tbh most of you can be your own boss. I had a retail job, I hated it and quit. I buy and sold phones. made some profit when I was age 16-18. saved up money to buy auctioned cars.one of the cars i got from auction was 800 and fixed the car for around 200-400 pounds. it had side damage only. i did all the manual labour by myself by watching instructional youtube vids on how to take off a part and replace. I then sold it for 2000 with it being CAT C. if it was amechanic to do the job, they wuda charged me hella money ( probs over 1k).

and now i just service cars because i get time wasters looking at the car and i have no time anymore to be wasting my time since i am going uni. want to use those extra hours to study.

P.S. i rushed writing this cause i am using my phone and trying to sleep

EDIT:
Now our days, companies are looking for the most experienced which I hate soooo much. FOR example carphone warehouse use to hire people that was first time on their job but now want to hire people who have over 1 years experience which is annoying.

Edit 2:
why am i ranting like a girl about this for lol. Im my own boss, and making a better salary then someone working in retailing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Light Venom
way too far bro.

tbh most of you can be your own boss. I had a retail job, I hated it and quit. I buy and sold phones. made some profit when I was age 16-18. saved up money to buy auctioned cars.one of the cars i got from auction was 800 and fixed the car for around 200-400 pounds. it had side damage only. i did all the manual labour by myself by watching instructional youtube vids on how to take off a part and replace. I then sold it for 2000 with it being CAT C. if it was amechanic to do the job, they wuda charged me hella money ( probs over 1k).

and now i just service cars because i get time wasters looking at the car and i have no time anymore to be wasting my time since i am going uni. want to use those extra hours to study.

P.S. i rushed writing this cause i am using my phone and trying to sleep

EDIT:
Now our days, companies are looking for the most experienced which I hate soooo much. FOR example carphone warehouse use to hire people that was first time on their job but now want to hire people who have over 1 years experience which is annoying.

If I was the boss of my company, which I might do, I would not mind hiring inexperienced people, so long as they do the job correctly and do the job properly, otherwise I would fire you on the spot. I'm not sure how companies like thesse say 'Oh we will lose 10k in profits from firing you so we need you to work for this amount of time, like wtf'.

I appreciate your reply so much bro, you're a great help. Yeah just looking for a job asap need on the weekends to make some money. If you have any suggestions or methods can you let me know? i would appreciate it so much bro
Original post by JMF1

Look on websites such as indeed.com
Also look in shop windows- quite a few will have adverts now for xmas temps.
Original post by JMF1

Just apply online to somewhere like McDonalds or ASDA and be sure to put down any relevant voluntary work experience/ team work/ communication skills you might have picked up during voluntary work/ DofE/ School positions such as prefecting etc
Reply 8
Thank you so much for you replies I really appreciate it and is the reason I love the TSR community. :biggrin:
Original post by JMF1

the quick way is to write a somewhat generic letter to several employers who you want to work for explain your situation and just add a touch of suck up not so much that you become 'teacher pet' just enough to make you stand out from the crowd

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending