Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So in a nutshell:

Me and my girlfriend were together for the best part of a couple of years, we always got on brilliantly and were pretty much each others best friends for all this time.

Then a couple of weeks ago we meet up and we break up (not my decision), but I still think the world of her and I'm not sure how to deal with this. She's off to university soon and part of me really wants to see her before she goes, and the other part thinks I should just let her be.

Feels like such a crappy situation, as I don't want to look back on this and feel like I didn't do enough to let her know how I feel, but I don't want to over complicate things and ruin any future friendship we might have, or make her unhappy.

Basically I don't have a clue what to do, and it's driving me crazy thinking everything over in my head.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    So in a nutshell:

Me and my girlfriend were together for the best part of a couple of years, we always got on brilliantly and were pretty much each others best friends for all this time.

Then a couple of weeks ago we meet up and we break up (not my decision), but I still think the world of her and I'm not sure how to deal with this. She's off to university soon and part of me really wants to see her before she goes, and the other part thinks I should just let her be.

Feels like such a crappy situation, as I don't want to look back on this and feel like I didn't do enough to let her know how I feel, but I don't want to over complicate things and ruin any future friendship we might have, or make her unhappy.

Basically I don't have a clue what to do, and it's driving me crazy thinking everything over in my head.
    She knows man, its fine, you had a good relationship but its in the past now, leave it, move on to better things and be happy it ended well. Good luck to you.

She knows man, its fine, you had a good relationship but its in the past now, leave it, move on to better things and be happy it ended well. Good luck to you.
    You sound so wise. I know that's probably what I should try and do but we were the best together! Just can't imagine being like that with anybody else, but i guess that's life

You sound so wise. I know that's probably what I should try and do but we were the best together! Just can't imagine being like that with anybody else, but i guess that's life
    Everything happens for a reason man, all the best. <3

P.S I know you may not like hearing this but it ending well means you could've obtained a solid friendship, you might not appreciate it now but you will in the future. My second ex is a very good friend of mine 3 years on.

ReputationRep:
    >OP - anonymous #2 has given you really sound advice. As hard as it is let it be for now. If she broke it off to head to uni then that is probably for the best. I know it feels like things are best when you are together but you are both starting a new chapter of your life. New, and unknown, feels scary/overwhelming and/or undesired but usually, given a few months or a year, you can look back and see how this change of course positively impacted your life. At this point going back to her to talk and let her know how you feel etc. is just prolonging starting the next chapter. Don't know your situation, if you're going to uni or working etc., you may not feel like your life has changed (other than the break up) but it now has so take some time (not too long) and allow yourself to mourn but then actively choose to leave that period of your life behind and look positively to the future. Embrace the new! Challenge yourself to start something new... a new sport, instrument, hobby etc. Give your energy to that and find happiness away from being a couple (with anyone) for a while. Then if you're not holding too hard onto the memory of the past there will be another girl who is going to be just as amazing and.... most likely even better. You just haven't met her yet! Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    She doesn't want you anymore, no matter what you say or do that's not going to change her mind, the highly likely chance is you couldn't have done anything differently either. Keep telling yourself this and please don't blame yourself either

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.