Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Basically, I Just got a job at a massive companies store, as a sales assistant. However the department where I'm in has alot of middle-aged people who have families and kids, who work their shifts, but refuse to do overtime, and then there are the young ones that are in college/uni, who most of the overtime ends up going to. I have no problem with doing some overtime, i.e. an extra 2 hours, or coming in for a few hours during the week. However my manager keeps ringing/asking me to come in during the week after sixth form, and work double my usual hours on the weekend, and it's stressing me out so much, and it's only been a week of sixth form and work. For example, today, when I finish at 6, I only have about 2 hours to do revision and school work, before going to bed. Yesterday too, 2 girls who are about 2 years older than me, are going back to university, so that leaves about 3 young people left.

Am I wrong to be complaining and wanting to put myself first, or should I stop being a doormat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11easkry)
    Hi all,

Basically, I Just got a job at a massive companies store, as a sales assistant. However the department where I'm in has alot of middle-aged people who have families and kids, who work their shifts, but refuse to do overtime, and then there are the young ones that are in college/uni, who most of the overtime ends up going to. I have no problem with doing some overtime, i.e. an extra 2 hours, or coming in for a few hours during the week. However my manager keeps ringing/asking me to come in during the week after sixth form, and work double my usual hours on the weekend, and it's stressing me out so much, and it's only been a week of sixth form and work. For example, today, when I finish at 6, I only have about 2 hours to do revision and school work, before going to bed. Yesterday too, 2 girls who are about 2 years older than me, are going back to university, so that leaves about 3 young people left.

Am I wrong to be complaining and wanting to put myself first, or should I stop being a doormat?
    In my opinion your schoolwork has to come first, and you have to set some boundaries with your employer. Try talking to them face to face, and explaining your workload, instead of just refusing shifts (that's where I went wrong with my job), and maybe they'll ask less of you and just hire some more people for the extra hours?

ReputationRep:
    at the end of the day your school work is your priority just like their kids are their priority... your employer is the one causing this problem, if there is constantly overtime needing cover then they don't have enough staff/contracted hours

you don't owe them anything other than your contracted hours, they wouldn't give you any more if it didn't benefit them so don't do it if it doesn't benefit you - just say you need to concentrate on school work at the moment as you're heading towards final exams so won't be able to work overtime like usual, perhaps as a one off in an emergency but not normally... then just stand your ground, if they keep bugging you just don't answer the phone, once they realise you won't do it they'll stop asking

ReputationRep:
    Firmly say to your manager that you'd love to help but you simply can't take on all these extra hours and your 6th form gives you a lot of work and your studies come first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    at the end of the day your school work is your priority just like their kids are their priority... your employer is the one causing this problem, if there is constantly overtime needing cover then they don't have enough staff/contracted hours

you don't owe them anything other than your contracted hours, they wouldn't give you any more if it didn't benefit them so don't do it if it doesn't benefit you - just say you need to concentrate on school work at the moment as you're heading towards final exams so won't be able to work overtime like usual, perhaps as a one off in an emergency but not normally... then just stand your ground, if they keep bugging you just don't answer the phone, once they realise you won't do it they'll stop asking
    I agree

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.