Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NHS bursary reform... can someone please answer this question? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    Sorry if this is in the wrong place feel free to move it I didn't know where was best to put it. Can someone please clear something up for me... With regards to the changes in the NHS bursary for 2017, I have looked everywhere online/emailed so many people and tried to get through to the bursary company but no luck.

It says that the changes are to be implemented for England, but the outcome on Wales is uncertain and no change as of yet.
    However my question is... if I'm Welsh, but wish to study in a university in England, then what rules apply? Do I still not get NHS funding as I would be studying in England?
    -Therefore would I have to study in a Welsh university to get NHS funding?

I have an unconditional deferred offer for next year for a healthcare course in England, but the only Welsh university that does this course is Cardiff. So am I right to assume the only way I would get NHS funding would be if I studied it in Cardiff? And in my course next year I'd have to apply to student finance?

Just wanted to check this, thank you
    x
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by moonandstars)
    Hi guys,
    Sorry if this is in the wrong place feel free to move it I didn't know where was best to put it. Can someone please clear something up for me... With regards to the changes in the NHS bursary for 2017, I have looked everywhere online/emailed so many people and tried to get through to the bursary company but no luck.

It says that the changes are to be implemented for England, but the outcome on Wales is uncertain and no change as of yet.
    However my question is... if I'm Welsh, but wish to study in a university in England, then what rules apply? Do I still not get NHS funding as I would be studying in England?
    -Therefore would I have to study in a Welsh university to get NHS funding?

I have an unconditional deferred offer for next year for a healthcare course in England, but the only Welsh university that does this course is Cardiff. So am I right to assume the only way I would get NHS funding would be if I studied it in Cardiff? And in my course next year I'd have to apply to student finance?

Just wanted to check this, thank you
    x
    The funding is based on the country of the uni you go to. So you would presumably get a loan from student finance if you go to uni in England. So yes Cardiff is the only place you d get funded.if it helps you d never pay your student debt off on an nhs salary, you d probably only pay a tenner a month off for a while.
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    This will all be clearer when the 2017/18 regulations come into affect officially when the applications open up which should be Feb 2017 sometime*

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.