Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    would i still be able to get a law degree in a good university if i do a btec, but it would be a 4th subject with A-levels in
    sociology
    english lit
    history
    or would you recommend taking just these 3 and focussing on them?
    it would be to show I'm interested in law and get background info on it

Firstly, three of your subjects are essay-based, which develops your essay-writing skills which are crucial to the study of law. (That said, the problem there is that you will have an enormous reading and writing workload, so I hope you're a real bookworm!)

Secondly, History and Sociology are directly relevant to Law, as in they explain how and where we got our sense of morality and ethical norms, which are then codified into law.

Thirdly, English Literature and History are both so-called 'facilitating subjects', which are good for keeping your options open especially with the better (Russell Group etc.) universities which often require at least two such subjects.

And fourthly, you've managed to avoid the trap of A-level law (universally despised by all the better law schools!), so well done.

If there was one thing I could suggest to improve your combo, it would be to swap one of the subjects - and my vote goes for the BTEC, which is the softest of the four - for another facilitating subject, and given my first point about the workload, this time for one that isn't essay based. The other facilitating subjects that you could choose from are: maths, sciences (chemistry, physics, biology), geography and languages (classical or modern); I think either maths or a language would be especially good.

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother with the Btec, 3 A-levels should be enough. Also, I think instead of sociology you should pick a proper subject like maths or physics, just to show that you are a well-rounded person. English and History are good subjects, but they mostly comprise of memory testing, that's why you need a subject that can demonstrate your ability to logical reasoning which is also pretty important in law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tantalised)
    Firstly, three of your subjects are essay-based, which develops your essay-writing skills which are crucial to the study of law. (That said, the problem there is that you will have an enormous reading and writing workload, so I hope you're a real bookworm!)

Secondly, History and Sociology are directly relevant to Law, as in they explain how and where we got our sense of morality and ethical norms, which are then codified into law.

Thirdly, English Literature and History are both so-called 'facilitating subjects', which are good for keeping your options open especially with the better (Russell Group etc.) universities which often require at least two such subjects.

And fourthly, you've managed to avoid the trap of A-level law (universally despised by all the better law schools!), so well done.

If there was one thing I could suggest to improve your combo, it would be to swap one of the subjects - and my vote goes for the BTEC, which is the softest of the four - for another facilitating subject, and given my first point about the workload, this time for one that isn't essay based. The other facilitating subjects that you could choose from are: maths, sciences (chemistry, physics, biology), geography and languages (classical or modern); I think either maths or a language would be especially good.
    ok, thanks for the advice, i was going to do an epq as well, which is an essay based independent study on anything of out choice, i thought it would look good on my uni application if i did it on LAW as it shows my interest in it, would u agree? plus an A* is worth 70 Ucas points

ReputationRep:
    Drop the btec and do another subject instead of sociology which will show you are not just essay based person for example maths, sciences or a language. Just something to show you have other skills

(Original post by Will.A2017)
    ok, thanks for the advice, i was going to do an epq as well, which is an essay based independent study on anything of out choice, i thought it would look good on my uni application if i did it on LAW as it shows my interest in it, would u agree? plus an A* is worth 70 Ucas points
    I wouldn't bother with the Extended Project Qualification if I were you. You're going to have a big enough work load with the four subjects as it is. Most Russell Group universities don't give a **** about the Extended Project Qualification (apart from Southampton which is arguably the weakest out of the 24 universities).

P.S. Many universities don't work on UCAS points anymore. The majority of them just state their entry requirements, e.g. AAA, AAB, etc.

ReputationRep:
    a girl at my school got into law in Surrey with a health and social care BTEC :hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    a girl at my school got into law in Surrey with a health and social care BTEC :hmmmm:
    Not that surprising, considering it is Surrey. They want to seem tough, but will let anyone to fill in the places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BIGJohnson777)
    Not that surprising, considering it is Surrey. They want to seem tough, but will let anyone to fill in the places.
    lmao but isnt it a russell group?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    Nope.

(Original post by z33)
    No Surrey is not a Russell Group university lol...

http://russellgroup.ac.uk/about/our-universities/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.