law degree with a Btec Watch

Will.A2017
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
would i still be able to get a law degree in a good university if i do a btec, but it would be a 4th subject with A-levels in
sociology
english lit
history
or would you recommend taking just these 3 and focussing on them?
it would be to show I'm interested in law and get background info on it
tantalised
Badges: 14
Report 2 years ago
Firstly, three of your subjects are essay-based, which develops your essay-writing skills which are crucial to the study of law. (That said, the problem there is that you will have an enormous reading and writing workload, so I hope you're a real bookworm!)

Secondly, History and Sociology are directly relevant to Law, as in they explain how and where we got our sense of morality and ethical norms, which are then codified into law.

Thirdly, English Literature and History are both so-called 'facilitating subjects', which are good for keeping your options open especially with the better (Russell Group etc.) universities which often require at least two such subjects.

And fourthly, you've managed to avoid the trap of A-level law (universally despised by all the better law schools!), so well done.

If there was one thing I could suggest to improve your combo, it would be to swap one of the subjects - and my vote goes for the BTEC, which is the softest of the four - for another facilitating subject, and given my first point about the workload, this time for one that isn't essay based. The other facilitating subjects that you could choose from are: maths, sciences (chemistry, physics, biology), geography and languages (classical or modern); I think either maths or a language would be especially good.
BIGJohnson777
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't bother with the Btec, 3 A-levels should be enough. Also, I think instead of sociology you should pick a proper subject like maths or physics, just to show that you are a well-rounded person. English and History are good subjects, but they mostly comprise of memory testing, that's why you need a subject that can demonstrate your ability to logical reasoning which is also pretty important in law.
Will.A2017
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by tantalised)
Firstly, three of your subjects are essay-based, which develops your essay-writing skills which are crucial to the study of law. (That said, the problem there is that you will have an enormous reading and writing workload, so I hope you're a real bookworm!)

Secondly, History and Sociology are directly relevant to Law, as in they explain how and where we got our sense of morality and ethical norms, which are then codified into law.

Thirdly, English Literature and History are both so-called 'facilitating subjects', which are good for keeping your options open especially with the better (Russell Group etc.) universities which often require at least two such subjects.

And fourthly, you've managed to avoid the trap of A-level law (universally despised by all the better law schools!), so well done.

If there was one thing I could suggest to improve your combo, it would be to swap one of the subjects - and my vote goes for the BTEC, which is the softest of the four - for another facilitating subject, and given my first point about the workload, this time for one that isn't essay based. The other facilitating subjects that you could choose from are: maths, sciences (chemistry, physics, biology), geography and languages (classical or modern); I think either maths or a language would be especially good.
ok, thanks for the advice, i was going to do an epq as well, which is an essay based independent study on anything of out choice, i thought it would look good on my uni application if i did it on LAW as it shows my interest in it, would u agree? plus an A* is worth 70 Ucas points
Jehaan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Drop the btec and do another subject instead of sociology which will show you are not just essay based person for example maths, sciences or a language. Just something to show you have other skills
tantalised
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Will.A2017)
ok, thanks for the advice, i was going to do an epq as well, which is an essay based independent study on anything of out choice, i thought it would look good on my uni application if i did it on LAW as it shows my interest in it, would u agree? plus an A* is worth 70 Ucas points
I wouldn't bother with the Extended Project Qualification if I were you. You're going to have a big enough work load with the four subjects as it is. Most Russell Group universities don't give a **** about the Extended Project Qualification (apart from Southampton which is arguably the weakest out of the 24 universities).

P.S. Many universities don't work on UCAS points anymore. The majority of them just state their entry requirements, e.g. AAA, AAB, etc.
z33
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
a girl at my school got into law in Surrey with a health and social care BTEC :hmmmm:
BIGJohnson777
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by z33)
a girl at my school got into law in Surrey with a health and social care BTEC :hmmmm:
Not that surprising, considering it is Surrey. They want to seem tough, but will let anyone to fill in the places.
z33
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BIGJohnson777)
Not that surprising, considering it is Surrey. They want to seem tough, but will let anyone to fill in the places.
lmao but isnt it a russell group?
BIGJohnson777
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by z33)
Nope.
tantalised
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by z33)
No Surrey is not a Russell Group university lol...

http://russellgroup.ac.uk/about/our-universities/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (40)
13.56%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (45)
15.25%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (54)
18.31%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (120)
40.68%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (16)
5.42%
No particular grades needed (20)
6.78%