Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently residing in halls, and have been offered a place for the follow academic year.

I've been informed that I must move rooms next year. This is not a problem in itself.

However, we have been advised that once notified that we must move rooms within 24 hours. That is, clean out our old accommodation and move into the new accommodation.

The issue I have is that they've stated that we must be ready to move at any time during a three week period, at any time during which we will be given 24 hours notice to move. Obviously that means, during this three week period planning anything is somewhat problematic.

I was under the impression that landlords were required to give tenants a minimum period of notice before requiring them to move. A quick google seems to suggest that for private tenants this includes a given move out date.

Could anyone offer any advice if this is the case in situations such as this, where you're relocating to another room?

ReputationRep:
    I would start by going and having a chat to your accommodation manager. Explain you can't sit around with piles of boxes unable to fill up your fridge or go out for the day without worrying about suddenly being told to move. Ask if you can have a day arranged in advance that you will move on. It's a very reasonable request.

tbh if you get most of your stuff packed and keep on top of cleaning it shouldn't take too much time to move out
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by billy252)
    I'm currently residing in halls, and have been offered a place for the follow academic year.

I've been informed that I must move rooms next year. This is not a problem in itself.

However, we have been advised that once notified that we must move rooms within 24 hours. That is, clean out our old accommodation and move into the new accommodation.

The issue I have is that they've stated that we must be ready to move at any time during a three week period, at any time during which we will be given 24 hours notice to move. Obviously that means, during this three week period planning anything is somewhat problematic.

I was under the impression that landlords were required to give tenants a minimum period of notice before requiring them to move. A quick google seems to suggest that for private tenants this includes a given move out date.

Could anyone offer any advice if this is the case in situations such as this, where you're relocating to another room?
    Is your hall private or university owned?
    Talk to them is the obvious solution.
    I would suspect they can ask you to move on short notice and that its contained in your agreement, but you would have to read it.
    I also suspect its not a tenancy, but a licence they have granted you, much like a hotel room and you ahve far fewer rights. Your stuff about notice would then be wide of the mark.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.