Turn on thread page Beta

equivalent of front page or dreamworks watch

ReputationRep:
    is there a free equivalent of front page or dreamweaver because i would like to make my website offline and then publish it all, instead of having to do it all online...any tips would be good!

Ruthie xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    is there a free equivalent of front page or dreamworks because i would like to make my website offline and then publish it all, instead of having to do it all online...any tips would be good!

Ruthie xx
    Well, if you want a good web publisher rather than a HTML editor, I would have to go for dreamweaver, as it does have a simplied mode.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    Well, if you want a good web publisher rather than a HTML editor, I would have to go for dreamweaver, as it does have a simplied mode.
    but isn't it really expensive??
    are there any free programs that would do the job??

ReputationRep:
    but isn't it really expensive??
    are there any free programs that would do the job??
    Well, it cost me nothing, but the again most programs cost me nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it cost me nothing, but the again most programs cost me nothing.

oooooooohhhhhhhhh
    how come???

ReputationRep:
    Depends whether you want a WYSIWYG editor or not. Winsyntax is quite good (and free) for colour coding if you're writing things like php.
    For WYSIWYG, Composer that comes with Mozilla is quite good, and free also.

ReputationRep:
    oooooooohhhhhhhhh
    how come???
    Well, I download them.

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend Dreamweaver, although it can be a bit advanced if you're fairly new to web designing. I've been using Dreamweaver for around 3 - 4 years, and I find it the easiest to get to grips with and use.

It has two modes: What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG) and a Code mode (where you can see the actual HTML code).

Dreamweaver MX 2004 has improved the ability to allow you to publish your sites on the internet at the click of a button; so you don't need another application to upload your local HTML + Image files to your web site on the internet.

It is expensive (if you buy it, obviously!), but I guess there are many sites out there that will "crack" the demonstration versions that you can download from Macromedia's web site (the company who make Dreamweaver - www.macromedia.com).

Tim.

ReputationRep:
    I just use notepad.... but that's only useful if you can be bothered to learn html. If you can, then http://www.lissaexplains.com is a good place to start

Or you could try looking on http://www.download.com, I'm sure there's some shareware stuff out there.

ReputationRep:
    Frontpage is the best. It has the ablitiy to see code or what you are publishing, easy to use, and easy to publish. I got mine free because I signed up for hosting with 1&1.

ReputationRep:
    I use TSW webcoder because it is good for CSS. I despise WYSIWYG editors.

ReputationRep:
    oooooooohhhhhhhhh
    how come???
    just use any filesharing program (eg Shareaza)

ReputationRep:
    Well, I download them.
    *slaps hand*

naughty!

*looks at download folder*

errr...yeah >.

In all honesty ive never encountered any good, free, website editors, HTML editors yes, there are loads of them about.

If its a temp job just download the trial version, lasts you 30days i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I use TSW webcoder because it is good for CSS. I despise WYSIWYG editors.
    well i can't do it any other way i'm afraid- i'm only a beginner

ReputationRep:
    www.nvu.com

best free wysiwyg program ever!

ReputationRep:
    I despise WYSIWYG editors.
    Why? They're brilliant for the more artistic side of web design. A couple of websites I tried making ages ago started with me using Painter to "paint" my website and I used Fireworks to split them and Dreamweaver to set up links and rollovers.

I like Dreamweaver especially because it doesn't put any crap over the source code of your website, except for its own template markers and script and only when you ask for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Why? They're brilliant for the more artistic side of web design. A couple of websites I tried making ages ago started with me using Painter to "paint" my website and I used Fireworks to split them and Dreamweaver to set up links and rollovers.

I like Dreamweaver especially because it doesn't put any crap over the source code of your website, except for its own template markers and script and only when you ask for them.
    It lets you do two many lazy things, with pure HTML your forced to write pure W3C code. With dreamweaver I just end up having to totally edit the code that produces all the time anyway. The only thing WYSIWYG is good for is table layouts as they can be a nigtmare to hand code.

ReputationRep:
    It lets you do two many lazy things, with pure HTML your forced to write pure W3C code. With dreamweaver I just end up having to totally edit the code that produces all the time anyway. The only thing WYSIWYG is good for is table layouts as they can be a nigtmare to hand code.
    One thing my friend does, who owns a web design company, is to get his co-owner to build the site on frontpage and deal with all of the art and layout of the site, and then he codes it all using notepad.

ReputationRep:
    Another thing you can do and is what we have been taught to at University is to use somthing like Photoshop to draw the site out, then once you have all the layout drawn out code the HTML from that. You can then use the marquee tool to export the indvidual graphics.

This method is great when doing stuff like VB/Director programs but I have never tried it for websites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)

fish, those "painter" sites were also ****

Dreamweaver makes horrbily bloated, messy code. I just use notpad now (so although it's messy code, at least it's slick code). Although you're right about fireworks, that is great (when you tweak to output to make it W3C compliant).

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.