Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I thought it would be cool to make a thread for A-Level Students to give advice on A-Levels, how to study, how to organise your times etc.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...-star-students

A bit about me:
    Taking Chem, Psychology, Maths and Geog and in year 12

ReputationRep:
    how many hours a day should year 12s spend revising? 1? 1 1/2? 2?

bumping up
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    For year 12 I spent 1 hour a day per subject so all in all 3 hours a day which works out at 18 hours a week if you don't want to do work on Sunday. Planning on doing the same this year but with an extra hour for my weakest subject

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sfaraj)

bumping up
    2hours a day. Up until March do 3/4hours a day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OGFakiie)
    2hours a day. Up until March do 3/4hours a day
    omg THANK YOU

ReputationRep:

bumping up
    You're expected to do 20 hours outside of lessons revising! (Aaahh! Don't worry though, this includes all homework set) - which yes, means 2 hours a day. Because that makes 10 hours from Monday-Friday, and an average 10 hours for frees during school. And you can completely rest on the weekend!

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite slow when I'm revising so i fully understand it all. I have 3 hours of frees a day and i do 3 hours outside of college. So thats about 6 hours a day every day, but i don't study on a Saturday. So in total 36 hours per week (but i do 3 essay subjects )

Inside of college i just focus on content, outside of college on weekdays i do summaries and on a sunday i just do essays.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I did about 4 hours a day revision and got A*A*A*a*a

I really would try and do more than 1 hour a day

ReputationRep:
    For people who did Biology, how hard did you find it to memorise + learn all the content thoroughly enough to be able to apply it to all questions, and how did you go about memorising it all? This is my biggest fear out of all my A Levels tbh (Bio, Chem, Maths + FM)

ReputationRep:
    I thought it would be cool to make a thread for A-Level Students to give advice on A-Levels, how to study, how to organise your times etc.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...-star-students

A bit about me:
    Taking Chem, Psychology, Maths and Geog and in year 12
    heya!

you're taking 3 of the same subjects as me! that's awesome!

I'm doing Chem, Maths, Psychology & English

ReputationRep:

bumping up
    I was told when studying for AS to do four hours a week per subject

ReputationRep:
    The best piece of advice I could give you is don't leave studying till March. Start revising when college begins and slowly increase your number of hours of revision.
    I left majority of my revision till March thinking it would be ok but life happened and half my hours where spent on family matters D;
    Also ask your teachers questions and don't be afraid to look stupid because there are people in your class who probably want to ask the same question but don't have confidence.

Everything else they will cover when you start college but just be prepared to force yourself to study on some days for the greater good of your own education.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I did about 4 hours per week (up until april, then a couple a day) and got AAAB at AS, predicted A*A*A* this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    I did about 4 hours per week (up until april, then a couple a day) and got AAAB at AS, predicted A*A*A* this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    what did those hours consist of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    For people who did Biology, how hard did you find it to memorise + learn all the content thoroughly enough to be able to apply it to all questions, and how did you go about memorising it all? This is my biggest fear out of all my A Levels tbh (Bio, Chem, Maths + FM)
    It's pretty hard to remember everything (especially if you have bad memories). But rather than trying to remember everything, try to understand what exactly you are learning and constantly questioning when you don't under stand something. Also, the best way to memorise things is to break every info down into bullet points, because most stuff are unnecessary. Flash cards also works, but doing exam questions constantly will help you remember (since you really do need to learn from the mark scheme to score high marks).

For Maths and FM, it's all about constant practice. Making notes won't help much for the pure modules (you can get them online), but doing questions regularly will improve your grades significantly. Also don't forget to use ExamSolutions.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    what did those hours consist of?
    Flashcards, writing up notes, essays.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For chem, try to learn a topic and do PPQ straight away, then after a week, then after a month (for each topic)
    For maths its the same thing, try international papers, mad as maths papers and solomon papers as well.
    For subjects like bio (which you dont take but i guess it would help in psychology and possibly geography) just write notes in your own words and try to do many questions and memorise your notes.
    *Try to do about 40 hours per week (for all subjects, including your lessons).
    say you spend 20 hours a week at college/ sixth form, then do 20 hours independent study.
    *Ask your teachers (I made the mistake of not asking, but now i will start to ask and take part in group discussions, because they help).
    *Do your homework and hand it in on time (this also counts for the 40 hours i mentioned above).
    *Start revising early, so you can take a few days off without worrying too much.
    *PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
    *Enjoy life but dont over enjoy life
    *Try to enjoy and make some good friends
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I didnt

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.