'Armed' men occupy temple in Leamington Spa

Watch
Aztec123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-37332307

A group of men believed to be carrying "bladed weapons" are occupying a temple in Leamington Spa, according to police.

Warwickshire Police said about 20 or 30 men entered the Gurdwara Sahib, at about 06:45 BST on Sunday.Jatinder Singh Birdi, a former treasurer at the temple, said a marriage between a Sikh and non-Sikh couple was due to take place.

Officers are inside the temple on Tachbrook Drive negotiating with the group.Mixed marriagesA force spokesman said it was being treated as "an aggravated trespass" from "the escalation of a local dispute" and was not a terror incident.

A police cordon is currently in force around the temple while officers and religious leaders try to end the stand-off.Mr Birdi said mixed marriages has been a contentious issue in the local Sikh community, with a minority opposing using the temple for such services.

"There have been tensions that have been going on for a couple of years with some people objecting to mixed marriages in taking place in the gurdwara," he said.

"The general consensus is people are respectful of mixed marriages if the traditions are respected."Nothing has happened on this level before."This is meant to be one of the happiest moments of somebody's life - it shows a lack of respect."
Aztec123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
55 men arrested.

http://news.sky.com/story/sword-wiel...n-spa-10574252
!!mentor!!
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Damn muslims.

...Oh, hold on. The article doesn't mention muslims.

But this is TSR so i'll blame them anyway.
Pinkberry_y
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Bad things happen everyday, that's life
QE2
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by !!mentor!!)
Damn muslims.

:confused:
The article specifically mentioned Sikhs. It is only when the religion isn't mentioned that suspicions are raised in certain quarters.
!!mentor!!
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by QE2)
The article specifically mentioned Sikhs. It is only when the religion isn't mentioned that suspicions are raised in certain quarters.
Yeah, but this is TSR. So that means behind the scenes you know that muslims did something to someone, somewhere, somehow for this to happen.
Hippysnake
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by QE2)
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

Bloody Mozzys.

Eid Mubarak.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There was a leading Sikh religious guy on the radio this morning claiming that whilst he deplores violent protest, this kind of thing is OK because it was, quote, a peaceful protest, unquote - swords and daggers and all. Apparently they sat in the back of the temple with black face masks. This is at a wedding. The Sikh religious bloke also said it's all justified as the religion, despite supposedly being about regarding all religions as valuable and peace amongst all peoples, does not for a moment tolerate inter-religious marriage between a Sikh and another.

Ah well. :rolleyes:
BaconandSauce
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Damn muslims.

complains all threads are about Muslims by making the thread about Muslims

But this is TSR.......
BaconandSauce
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
rightly so they were all arrested

they will be charged and should be found guilty

no one will cry sikhophobia for any criticism over this action or the belief that Sikh men think they have the right to tell 'their' women who they can and can't marry and thank the lord there are places where people are still free to marry who they choose (despite some not liking this)
alevelstresss
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BaconandSauce)
rightly so they were all arrested

they will be charged and should be found guilty

no one will cry sikhophobia for any criticism over this action or the belief that Sikh men think they have the right to tell 'their' women who they can and can't marry and thank the lord there are places where people are still free to marry who they choose (despite some not liking this)
why do you politicise everything into a hateful anti-Islam agenda?
BaconandSauce
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by alevelstresss)
why do you politicise everything into a hateful anti-Islam agenda?
neal95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I hate how various news outlets span this out to be Sikhs against mixed race marriages. It's utter nonsense. Sikhs are great people and we have integrated a lot. The only arguement the protesters had which was valid imo, is that if you are going to follow the religious text which is very holy to them, then you need to both be Sikhs and believe in the concepts. If you don't believe in them, what is the point in being there by all means go and get a registry marriage and throw a big party afterwards, most people will be happy for you and join in the celebrations and those that don't probably aren't worth bothering with. The issue was inter faith marriages being conducted in a place of worship. It's considered by some to be an insult if you are saying sacred vows without appreciating or even caring about any of it, so why should a Sikh woman or whatever get to have one of these sham marriage ceremonies just for the photo oppurtunity? Great your an atheist Punjabi fantastic, have a normal wedding and don't use your Punjabi background as an excuse to get a photo oppurtunity of your big day. As a conservative and traditionalist I am in favour of protecting traditions and institutions and they shouldn't be changed at the whim just because some liberal disagrees with the narrative.

Also the so called "armed" Sikhs were not carrying swords but 6 inch blunted articles of faith, and we're not brandishing them. Instead they were peacefully protesting, and it was armed police who prevented people from entering. Would you go into a mosque with a bacon sandwich? Same principle here. My own family has multiple cousins of mine Married to English and Irish women and I have a lot of first cousins once removed who are half English or Irish from multiple branches of my mums family. There are also women married to Kazakhs and Sri Lankans so the idea that Sikhs are agaisnt mixed race marriages is ridiculous and false.
neal95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There is also a video on the Sikh youth Birmingham Facebook page posted 20 hours ago which shows the so called armed protesters sitting on the floor with weapons no were in sight As some of the most religious Sikhs, these people will be carrying their articles of faith on their person, and anyone who knows Sikhi will know that they don't draw their blades for any reason other than to protect someone so for anyone who has this image in their head of Sikhs keeping people hostage and under terror with knives brandished is deluded
!!mentor!!
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
complains all threads are about Muslims by making the thread about Muslims

But this is TSR.......
I bet a muslim made you say that.
BaconandSauce
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I bet a muslim made you say that.
nah! just an idiot
!!mentor!!
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
nah! just an idiot
Was that idiot a muslim?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (593)
34.1%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.54%

Watched Threads