Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Heyo

I'll get right to it; there's a couple of pricks who sit in the back of my maths class and literally laugh at every. single. thing I do. And of course, if I get a question wrong they spend half the lesson telling me I'm an idiot and so forth (despite me consistently getting the highest mark in the class :^))

I don't hugely care about what they're saying, it doesn't hugely bother me.

Yet when I go home and try to work, I cannot get them out of my head. I simply can't stop thinking about what they keep saying in lessons. This is really stopping me from concentrating.

Any advice?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Heyo

I'll get right to it; there's a couple of pricks who sit in the back of my maths class and literally laugh at every. single. thing I do. And of course, if I get a question wrong they spend half the lesson telling me I'm an idiot and so forth (despite me consistently getting the highest mark in the class :^))

I don't hugely care about what they're saying, it doesn't hugely bother me.

Yet when I go home and try to work, I cannot get them out of my head. I simply can't stop thinking about what they keep saying in lessons. This is really stopping me from concentrating.

Any advice?
    Ew, that's awful. When I was in secondary school, I had the same problem. Because it was affecting me out of school, I just got myself right outta there. Could you maybe talk to your teacher and get moved to another place in the classroom, or even switch maths class completely? Sometimes your head of year can sort this for you. Other than that, you need to remember that you are capable and that they're wrong. They're trying to get to you. What they say isn't true. You aren't stupid at all. Think about your achievements and the things you're doing really well with. Maybe distracting yourself with some music or background noise while you study at home could help. Having something else going on in the background might stop your mind wandering there. If you find it happening, maybe try getting up and doing something else to distract yourself. It might seem unproductive, but if you're struggling to get anything done anyway because of what you're feeling then it could work out better

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.