Turn on thread page Beta

UCAS points watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered8)
    And what value of points is given to AEA's and STEP? They are definately the hardest exams ever in FE and yet are not recognised in tariff points!
    That's probably because no universities which use the tariff scheme (and there are VERY few) make standard offers incorporating those exams. STEPs are only for Oxbridge entrance, aren't they?

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    That's probably because no universities which use the tariff scheme (and there are VERY few) make standard offers incorporating those exams. STEPs are only for Oxbridge entrance, aren't they?

Ben
    At the risk of sounding very stupid... What are STEP's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    I got 720.
    what the f**k? thats like two AS's and 5 A2s at A
    hands up to you sir!

after 4 AS levels i've got 190. just had my law remarked, up 30 marks unbelievable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr-shiraz)
    At the risk of sounding very stupid... What are STEP's?
    STEP = Sixth Term Examination Paper

They are advanced papers in mathematics administered by OCR, which test true mathematics potential far better than A-level mathematics/further mathematics. They are much more problem-solving oriented, rather than syllabus-oriented. There used to be similar papers in other subject like Physics etc., but I believe that they no longer exist. They are used by Cambridge and Warwick universities to distuinguish between the top maths candidates at a higher resolution not afforded by A-level maths/further maths.

See http://www.ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/do...e.jsp?oid=7610 for more details.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    what the f**k? thats like two AS's and 5 A2s at A
    hands up to you sir!
    Thanks

I got 6 A2's at A.

Looks like you're on track for some good results yourself. Good luck.

Regards,

ReputationRep:
    I only got 420 points, but I wasn't allowed to do key skills or General Studies.

John

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Max Plank)
    I only got 420 points, but I wasn't allowed to do key skills or General Studies.

John
    hehe, obviously went to a proper school.

ReputationRep:
    I only got 420 points, but I wasn't allowed to do key skills
    Lucky, they made us do Key Skills at college (one of my teachers said it was because they get funding for it). It was a total waste of time :/.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    hehe, obviously went to a proper school.
    Hehe, a good old state education. They didn't want me to do key skills because:
    a)They'd have to mark my work.
    b)They'd have to mark my work.
    c)Refer to a) and b)

And General Studies! I think a condition of acceptance (to a good uni) should be that you didn't touch the GS exam with a barge-pole, long ferret or similar animal.

John

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, a good old state education. They didn't want me to do key skills because:
    a)They'd have to mark my work.
    b)They'd have to mark my work.
    c)Refer to a) and b)

And General Studies! I think a condition of acceptance (to a good uni) should be that you didn't touch the GS exam with a barge-pole, long ferret or similar animal.

John
    haha, i know. back when we were applying you could tell if it was a good uni or not by seeing if they accepted GS or not. it was funny, listening to people taking the michael mouse because the university accepted general studies. great days..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    If they act like that then they're shooting themselves in the foot - despite what universities say the GS grade is (and always has been) included in the calculation of A level average which is submitted to HESA and subsiquently bought by the major newspapers to compile the league tables. And now that HESA uses the tarriff score to measure A level achievements (not just the best 3 A levels) it makes even more sense to allow capable students who performed well at interview to slip a grade if they compensate through a good GS mark. Watch out for the Times Good University Guide when it comes out next May - the first lot of tarriff point stats become available in January and the league tables *will* be affected...I can't wait - it makes my job much more interesting, although if they changed the system every yr it would make my job partly obsolete
    it still doesnt detract from the fact that most top-end students couldnt care less about it and quite rightly so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    it still doesnt detract from the fact that most top-end students couldnt care less about it and quite rightly so.
    Thats so true. People who do essay based subjects have a huge advantage (on the GS exam) as do people who study politics! Us poor scientists haven't had an English lesson in 2.5 years!

John

ReputationRep:
    True - it just annoys me that universities like to perpetuate the myth that it doesn't count when it is included in the statuatary return to HESA every yr.

Although to be honest if a top student can't get a decent grade in it I'd have serious doubts over their claim to be a top student. General knowledge, the ability to argue an opinion and a basic knowledge of language/maths etc should be basic skills for first yr undergraduates, personally I'd like to see it extended not cut back. Top students can pass without breaking a sweat but it should help distinguish between students who are capable of the basic skills/knowledge needed to gain a degree and those who aren't.
    but only the school cares about the grades. the employer, the university and the student arent interested in GS grades.

I'm obviously not making myself clear. Although universities *say* they aren't interested in GS grades and although in the majority of cases this is true, GS grades *are* counted towards both internal targets for quality and in external league tables of quality. (but universities (and people who make assumptions) perpetuate the myth that it isn't counted internally and externally)

This means that for the students that miss their offer by one grade the student whose GS grade is good will (all other things being equal) be offered a place over a student who didn't take GS or who got a worse grade.

It doesn't get included on offers but that doesn't make it completely irrelevent - especially not to universities (and if it means the difference between getting accepted by your firm choice it matters to the students affected as well).
    So your suggesting that me picking up GS AS and A2 this year in addition to my other subjects wasn't a bad move???

Hope the nice people at UEA and Bath like GS!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil)
    How many UCAS points did you obtain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    Is that even possible ? 650 you must have got some serious A's , what did you get grade wise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotnanoo)
    Is that even possible ? 650 you must have got some serious A's , what did you get grade wise
    it says what subjects i did in my sig
    5xA2 (A's) 1xAS (B)

actually the record is 8 A's at A level and 2 S papers

ReputationRep:
    The highest that's been recorded/reported was 900 points. 7 As at A level + an A at AS level.
    What about key skills as well?

If they act like that then they're shooting themselves in the foot - despite what universities say the GS grade is (and always has been) included in the calculation of A level average which is submitted to HESA and subsiquently bought by the major newspapers to compile the league tables. And now that HESA uses the tarriff score to measure A level achievements (not just the best 3 A levels) it makes even more sense to allow capable students who performed well at interview to slip a grade if they compensate through a good GS mark. Watch out for the Times Good University Guide when it comes out next May - the first lot of tarriff point stats become available in January and the league tables *will* be affected...I can't wait - it makes my job much more interesting, although if they changed the system every yr it would make my job partly obsolete
    League tables with tariff points will be available in Nov/Dec and the system of using tariff points was started for last years results (which weren't available till April this year because of the exam boards '****-ups'. It has made a difference to rankings but not that much difference.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.