How is a 2:1 and stuff calculated?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
RyanW
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Can someone explain how universities calculate your degree grade, is it even called a grade?

What's need for a first?

Sorry, may be appearing a bit dim here. It's just I have never looked into it.
Fluffy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by RyanW)
Can someone explain how universities calculate your degree grade, is it even called a grade?

What's need for a first?

Sorry, may be appearing a bit dim here. It's just I have never looked into it.

a 1st is usually 70% and above for either the whole course, or the course minus the first year.

a 2i usually 61-70%
a 2ii usually 51-60%
3 - 41%-50%

However some unis have set numbers of firsts, higher first grade requirements etc...
RyanW
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Thanks-a-lot. So basically if you want a first you need to make sure your getting over 70% in all exams and practical assessments?
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by RyanW)
Thanks-a-lot. So basically if you want a first you need to make sure your getting over 70% in all exams and practical assessments?

Yes. You can usually get some 2i and 2iis so long as your over all average is a 1st.
tommyboy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by RyanW)
Depends on the course. For my course, in order to get a First overall you needed Firsts in at least half your modules and nothing below a certain mark. For a 2:1 you needed five 2:1s out of 8 full-year modules and again nothing below a certain mark, etc.
Catt
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
70+ = 1st
60-69 = 2:1
50-59 = 2:2
40-49 = 3rd
30-39 = Pass
<30 = Fail

At Oxford at any rate, but as said its fairly standard. These would be marks for individual answers/papers, overall marks are somewhat different. As someone said some require an average mark of, say, 68 5 papers over 70 and three no less than 65 or something. My course however was a straight average of all my finals.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Some unis allow you to fail modules (!!) and still come out with a first!!!

Not that that pisses me off in any way shape of form .

If you had failed a module at Swansea (School of Biological Sciences) you wouldn't have gotten a degree at all...
Chubb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Looks like I'm going for a first then - should be able to make 70% though I may be underesetimating the difficulty of Computer Science.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (58)
19.27%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (64)
21.26%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (58)
19.27%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (64)
21.26%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (29)
9.63%
I haven't started researching yet (28)
9.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed