Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain how universities calculate your degree grade, is it even called a grade?

What's need for a first?

Sorry, may be appearing a bit dim here. It's just I have never looked into it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanW)
    Can someone explain how universities calculate your degree grade, is it even called a grade?

What's need for a first?

Sorry, may be appearing a bit dim here. It's just I have never looked into it.

a 1st is usually 70% and above for either the whole course, or the course minus the first year.

a 2i usually 61-70%
    a 2ii usually 51-60%
    3 - 41%-50%

However some unis have set numbers of firsts, higher first grade requirements etc...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks-a-lot. So basically if you want a first you need to make sure your getting over 70% in all exams and practical assessments?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanW)
    Thanks-a-lot. So basically if you want a first you need to make sure your getting over 70% in all exams and practical assessments?

Yes. You can usually get some 2i and 2iis so long as your over all average is a 1st.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanW)
    Depends on the course. For my course, in order to get a First overall you needed Firsts in at least half your modules and nothing below a certain mark. For a 2:1 you needed five 2:1s out of 8 full-year modules and again nothing below a certain mark, etc.

ReputationRep:
    70+ = 1st
    60-69 = 2:1
    50-59 = 2:2
    40-49 = 3rd
    30-39 = Pass
    <30 = Fail

At Oxford at any rate, but as said its fairly standard. These would be marks for individual answers/papers, overall marks are somewhat different. As someone said some require an average mark of, say, 68 5 papers over 70 and three no less than 65 or something. My course however was a straight average of all my finals.

ReputationRep:
    Some unis allow you to fail modules (!!) and still come out with a first!!!

Not that that pisses me off in any way shape of form .

If you had failed a module at Swansea (School of Biological Sciences) you wouldn't have gotten a degree at all...

ReputationRep:
    Looks like I'm going for a first then - should be able to make 70% though I may be underesetimating the difficulty of Computer Science.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.