Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So this happened today.

The shadow Foreign Secretary called Sky news presenter
    Dermot Murnaghan sexist after asking her who the French foreign minister was. She refused to answer the question. She asked if she could have question on North Korea or Syria and was then asked if she knew the name of the South Korean President. She was then asked if she knew the Presidents gender, she refused to answer.
    She was then asked about Labour's anti-Semitism problem and this was her response.
    "There is always more to be done and do you know what, there is certainly a lot more to be done by the Tories and I certainly think sometimes when it comes to sexism, some Sky presenters need to look at themselves too."

So now it is sexist to ask if the Shadow Foreign Secretary knows the names of different world leaders and ministers. I'm well aware that these questions are trivial, but it does make you look incompetent if you can't answer them and use 'sexism' to cover up what you don't know.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37332287

ReputationRep:
    What a *****.

ReputationRep:
    While I can sort of see her point that perhaps a male politician might not have been asked the same thing, the fact she didn't even know proves it was a valid question in the first place - right or not, she comes across as just trying to cover for herself not knowing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midgemeister7)
    While I can sort of see her point that perhaps a male politician might not have been asked the same thing, the fact she didn't even know proves it was a valid question in the first place - right or not, she comes across as just trying to cover for herself not knowing.
    I've watched the video and the Sky presenter had previously asked the same sort of questions to Alan Johnson and he couldn't answer them.

As shadow FS she should know who her counterparts are. She's a dunce.

ReputationRep:
    Moronic answer but that's what happens when you cobble a Shadow Cabinet together from the last dregs of MPs that actually respect you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not an avid viewer of Sky News however bringing sexism to the equation doesn't make sense. She just seems like she was trying to cover her own arse. A simple 'no' should've sufficed.

ReputationRep:
    Next, she'll be screaming racism when asked about North Korea's dictatorship

"I can't believe you asked me that just because I have white skin, what has Sky News come to?!"
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Just sums up how incompetent and irrelevant Labour are right now.

Wish May was brave enough to call a general election. They'd be wiped out.

ReputationRep:
    He should be banged up for hate crime. Misogyny is one now thanks to the sterling efforts of the Nottinghamshire Police :borat:

ReputationRep:
    Thornberry eh? Sounds... smashing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.