Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I am applying for neuroscience as a degree this year and have been doing some extra reading on neuroplasticity, but is this even relevant to the degree?
    I have read 'The mind and the brain - neuroplasticity and the power of mental force" and have been very interested and wanting to write about this topic loads on my personal statement. It included information about Edward Taub and how people overcame and cured their neurodegenerative disorders. Is this ok to write on my personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plankton7890)
    Hey, I am applying for neuroscience as a degree this year and have been doing some extra reading on neuroplasticity, but is this even relevant to the degree?
    I have read 'The mind and the brain - neuroplasticity and the power of mental force" and have been very interested and wanting to write about this topic loads on my personal statement. It included information about Edward Taub and how people overcame and cured their neurodegenerative disorders. Is this ok to write on my personal statement?
    I'm going to be studying neuroscience this year and in my opinion I think you should include it, it seems relevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemonster15)
    I'm going to be studying neuroscience this year and in my opinion I think you should include it, it seems relevant.
    Thanks so much I find it fascinating how people were able to overcome some of the disorders by rewiring their brains.
    I also suffer from OCD, therefore I know a lot about it and it is caused by chemicals in the brain, is it worth mentioning this as well?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much I find it fascinating how people were able to overcome some of the disorders by rewiring their brains.
    I also suffer from OCD, therefore I know a lot about it and it is caused by chemicals in the brain, is it worth mentioning this as well?
    Was it a good read (not gonna lie, I'm looking into reading it for myself)

Do you mean mention that you have OCD or that you know a fair bit about it? I think you should consult your teacher or head on that one..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemonster15)
    Was it a good read (not gonna lie, I'm looking into reading it for myself)

Do you mean mention that you have OCD or that you know a fair bit about it? I think you should consult your teacher or head on that one..
    It's a really good read, and I have OCD myself, and have also done lots of research into it and the book includes a section on it.
    Also, which topics of neuroscience did you include in your personal statement because there seem to be loads in neuroscience but I am not sure if everything i am going to write is more linked to psychology and neuroscience. Mine would be behavioural neuroscience and then neuroplasticity.

ReputationRep:
    It's a really good read, and I have OCD myself, and have also done lots of research into it and the book includes a section on it.
    Also, which topics of neuroscience did you include in your personal statement because there seem to be loads in neuroscience but I am not sure if everything i am going to write is more linked to psychology and neuroscience. Mine would be behavioural neuroscience and then neuroplasticity.
    Actually, my personal statement was on medicine but I also loved neuroscience at the time so I think I did a paragraph about this lecture I attended which focused on the growth of the brain and the correlation in decisions made at a young age with the success you get later in life.

In terms of your personal statement, I don't think you need to pick a topic as such, just include everything you've learnt so far and why you want to study it (To be honest, I think neuro is more about your grades than your personal statement since I managed to get an offer having written a medical personal statement)

Best of luck

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.