Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi

so basically, I resat my as year and got BCD in bio, chem and history which is clearly not good enough for medicine. mainly dues to a change of several teachers, not being taught the whole courses and my own bad study habits.
    however with the new course that im doing, you take your as and a2 together at the end of the year. im thinking if I am able to get 3 A's this time round (which I know I am capable of) and then take a gap year in which I gain loads of work experience, could I apply for medicine and stand a chance?

also should I apply for other courses this year? although I don't see myself doing anything else and postgraduate medicine is so expensive

ReputationRep:
    in the same situation

ReputationRep:
    Med skls really hate resits so i do suggest you apply at least one other course as well and check which uni's will accept ur new results before thinking about taking a gap year.

Do you have extenuating circumstances? Like going to a skl below the national average/ having a low income etc. Maybe you could apply for foundation med instead? Again do ur research to see whether you fit the criteria.

Also, i dont want to be rude or anything but are u really on track to get at least 3 A's at the end of the year cuz if not i really suggest u go through another science degree like biomed and reapply into graduate entry if ur still interested by the end. I heard it's more competitve and u have to pay for the degree yourself this time around so it's more expensive but is a rewarding experience as it goes into more scientific depth than med.

I know it's tough to let go of what probably is ur life dream but u have to be realistic sometimes and look at all the other options that are just as great or maybe even better.

I wish you the best of luck whatever ur decision is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ray_029)
    Med skls really hate resits so i do suggest you apply at least one other course as well and check which uni's will accept ur new results before thinking about taking a gap year.

Do you have extenuating circumstances? Like going to a skl below the national average/ having a low income etc. Maybe you could apply for foundation med instead? Again do ur research to see whether you fit the criteria.

Also, i dont want to be rude or anything but are u really on track to get at least 3 A's at the end of the year cuz if not i really suggest u go through another science degree like biomed and reapply into graduate entry if ur still interested by the end. I heard it's more competitve and u have to pay for the degree yourself this time around so it's more expensive but is a rewarding experience as it goes into more scientific depth than med.

I know it's tough to let go of what probably is ur life dream but u have to be realistic sometimes and look at all the other options that are just as great or maybe even better.

I wish you the best of luck whatever ur decision is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    is 40% A-C above the national average?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. The average is 53.8% for gcse but i cant remember for a levels but you can find out on the government website i think

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    that sucks then lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.