Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I attend the best sixth form in my area. It's about a 30 minute drive each way. My parents currently drive me there in the morning (30 mins), then back (30 mins) and then they pick me up in the afternoon (30 mins) and back home (another 30 mins). So it's just under 2 hours of driving a day. It works out cheaper for my parents to drive me than to take the school bus ( which is over£3000 a year). A friend who lives near me use to take the bus, but now her parents will not pay. She wants me to give her a lift in everyday for FREE. My parents will not allow it and say it isn't fair as we have to pay for diesel, while she gets a free trip. My parents say if she can't get their, she shouldn't attend the sixth form and go to a local one.

What should I say to her? I don't want to come across as rude. So I need an excuse to get out of it....any suggestions???
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by OwlOfFire)
    I attend the best sixth form in my area. It's about a 30 minute drive each way. My parents currently drive me there in the morning (30 mins), then back (30 mins) and then they pick me up in the afternoon (30 mins) and back home (another 30 mins). So it's just under 2 hours of driving a day. It works out cheaper for my parents to drive me than to take the school bus ( which is over£3000 a year). A friend who lives near me use to take the bus, but now her parents will not pay. She wants me to give her a lift in everyday for FREE. My parents will not allow it and say it isn't fair as we have to pay for diesel, while she gets a free trip. My parents say if she can't get their, she shouldn't attend the sixth form and go to a local one.

What should I say to her? I don't want to come across as rude. So I need an excuse to get out of it....any suggestions???
    Do you mean, what do you tell your friend? The truth perhaps... she's trying to basically scrounge off you for free, and if she's a good friend, then she'll understand that it's not your decision, but your parents'.
    In any case, I definitely agree with your parents saying no...

ReputationRep:
    your parents are completely right here... if she wants to share lifts then her parents need to give you guys a lift regularly too

you could ask your parents if she could contribute to petrol costs?

other than that just tell her the truth that your parents said no

ReputationRep:
    It isn't fair. The burden falls on her to convince her parents it's worth either paying you some, or learning to drive etc.
    Sadly it's not your problem - just tell her she needs to pay as it's unfair, or do something else. She's capable of getting a job. Just support her.

ReputationRep:
    Tell your friend to get a student bus pass online. Depending on where she lives, if she gets a three term pass, it will be less than £400 a year. Or a 16-18 travel card which lets you get child fare.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.