The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Matriculation dress code & black tie?

Hi,

I was just wondering what the dress code is for matriculation? I currently only have a grey suit, would this be ok with a white shirt?

Also is it worth investing in black tie attire? Does this have to be the dinner jacket and all? Sorry, never worn black tie before so not all too familiar!

I'm in Trevs btw :smile:
Original post by itsConnor_
Hi,

I was just wondering what the dress code is for matriculation? I currently only have a grey suit, would this be ok with a white shirt?

Also is it worth investing in black tie attire? Does this have to be the dinner jacket and all? Sorry, never worn black tie before so not all too familiar!

I'm in Trevs btw :smile:

A grey suit with a white shirt is fine (and will also be fine for formal meals)! It doesn't have to be black and white (some people wore b&w but not everyone). I don't know if Trevs are gowned or not, but at Grey we had gowns on so the suits weren't really visible anyway.

At the end of the year each college has a ball, and I think you might have to wear black tie attire for them. I didn't actually go to mine, but from all the pictures I saw black tie seemed to be the thing. But every college is different so if you're unsure, don't rush into buying anything yet.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Dougieowner
A grey suit with a white shirt is fine (and will also be fine for formal meals)! It doesn't have to be black and white (some people wore b&w but not everyone). I don't know if Trevs are gowned or not, but at Grey we had gowns on so the suits weren't really visible anyway.

At the end of the year each college has a ball, and I think you might have to wear black tie attire for them. I didn't actually go to mine, but from all the pictures I saw black tie seemed to be the thing. But every college is different so if you're unsure, don't rush into buying anything yet.

What about blue suit? Just making sure as I'm flying in from Asia and I don't want to bring something that can't be worn or buy something that I don't need. Fyi, Trevs is gowned as well.
Original post by aimannas21
What about blue suit? Just making sure as I'm flying in from Asia and I don't want to bring something that can't be worn or buy something that I don't need. Fyi, Trevs is gowned as well.

I think that would be ok! But to be 100% sure I'd recommend contacting someone at your college, maybe the JCR President or student support (the links will be on the Trevelyan College website).

Quick Reply

Latest