Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How many of you meet new people and get to keep them as friends or people to hang out with?

Ever since I left elementary school up to now, even in work situations, I have been having a hard time finding new friends or maintaining existing ones.
    It's always the same: you meet someone new, maybe you two click or not and even if it clicks, you end up alone because somehow you are not interesting enough. The other person doesn't feel the need to ask you for your phone number, to hang out, or anything. No, you say "hi", you say your name and maybe if you're lucky, you get to have a conversation. After that, it's "bye" and you don't see that person ever again and your life stays the same friendship rut you are in; things don't move on, and so on.
    Not even my hobby and sports clubs I have been going a decade to care about me. All they do is hang out with each other and I remain Mr. invisible.

If this is reality for the coming years, I might just get depressed.

(Original post by 571122)
    How many of you meet new people and get to keep them as friends or people to hang out with?

Ever since I left elementary school up to now, even in work situations, I have been having a hard time finding new friends or maintaining existing ones.
    It's always the same: you meet someone new, maybe you two click or not and even if it clicks, you end up alone because somehow you are not interesting enough. The other person doesn't feel the need to ask you for your phone number, to hang out, or anything. No, you say "hi", you say your name and maybe if you're lucky, you get to have a conversation. After that, it's "bye" and you don't see that person ever again and your life stays the same friendship rut you are in; things don't move on, and so on.
    Not even my hobby and sports clubs I have been going a decade to care about me. All they do is hang out with each other and I remain Mr. invisible.

If this is reality for the coming years, I might just get depressed.
    how old r u?

I have issues with being shy and feeling as if I'm boring so other people won't like me- as a result, I tend to hesitate before talking to people and can panic on what to say. I think we both have an issue in common. You said, "The other person doesn't feel the need to ask you for your phone number, to hang out, or anything" as if you expect the other person to initiate everything. I wait for other people to ask me to do things too (unless I'm close with them) because I'm scared of rejection. But, honestly? You should initiate meeting up or exchanging numbers if the other person doesn't. Maybe they didn't ask because they aren't interested, but it could also be because like you, they think you are not interested and are scared that you may reject a request to hang out. Take the plunge. The worst thing that can happen is they say no. You know what happens then? You feel a bit embarrassed, brush it off, and try with someone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    how old r u?
    Older than 30, which is exactly the age at which (new) friendships start failing or become non-existing because everyone is so damn busy with their own lives and wives.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 13, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.