Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I started A-Levels last week at a very good grammar somewhere in Kent after doing one year of IB at a very good grammar somewhere in Kent but deciding it's not for me. I chose English as one of my subjects as I did it at higher level at IB and it wasn't too bad. One week into A-Level English and it already seems like a complete sh*tstorm and much harder than IB HL English was. I need to take it because it's a facilitating subject but is it alright if I leave it at AS? My subject choices are:

English Literature
    Business
    Media Studies
    Psychology

I want to get into a good university to do Business and options are Manchester, Exeter, Loughborough or Nottingham. Do I need English at A2 or can I drop it at AS and take the other 3 to A2? I am also doing the IFS which is an AS equivalent
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    x
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Mahel)
    So I started A-Levels last week at a very good grammar somewhere in Kent after doing one year of IB at a very good grammar somewhere in Kent but deciding it's not for me. I chose English as one of my subjects as I did it at higher level at IB and it wasn't too bad. One week into A-Level English and it already seems like a complete sh*tstorm and much harder than IB HL English was. I need to take it because it's a facilitating subject but is it alright if I leave it at AS? My subject choices are:

English Literature
    Business
    Media Studies
    Psychology

I want to get into a good university to do Business and options are Manchester, Exeter, Loughborough or Nottingham. Do I need English at A2 or can I drop it at AS and take the other 3 to A2? I am also doing the IFS which is an AS equivalent
    You can drop AS English Literature if you wish as it is not a requirement to study Business at university level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    You can drop AS English Literature if you wish as it is not a requirement to study Business at university level.
    So all of that about facilitating subject and whatnot won't matter if I'm set on doing business? also, won't my application be seen as 'soft' with A2 in business, psychology and media?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about buisness - maybe you should contact your preferred universities about it? But generally, yes, I would say that your application might look 'soft' with the remaining subjects only. On the other hand, it would obviously look a lot better to just get really great results in your three other subjects, than to end up getting a bad result in english.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Mahel)
    So all of that about facilitating subject and whatnot won't matter if I'm set on doing business? also, won't my application be seen as 'soft' with A2 in business, psychology and media?
    Yes you are correct. Business is not a facilitating subject like Biology, History or English Literature at university so your A-levels doesn't matter as there's not a preferred or specific A-level required to study business at university.

Your application will not be seen as "soft" because of the A-levels you chosen. Universities will not and do not discriminate against students who have chosen "softer" A-levels than other students. They taken on board your A-levels, your predicted grades as well as your personal statement, your referees and other achievements.

So do not listen to anyone who tells you your A-levels are not good or you should be concerned. You shouldn't. You picked those A-levels because (I presume) you enjoy them and as long as your grades show that, then you will be fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.