Poll: How do you say scone
Rhyme with cone (459)
60.24%
Rhyme with con (303)
39.76%
Glib
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I rhyme it with 'cone'
Matrix123
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Glib)
I rhyme it with 'cone'
Same

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I say it like 'sc-own'/rhyme with cone
username2585877
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Conceited)
There's only one way to go...

Rhyming with 'gone'.

The other way is just wrong.
same
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Glib)
I rhyme it with 'cone'
Rhyming with cone is common - it is gone as in the scone is gone.
Palonirya
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I rhyme it with 'gone'.

For me, people rhyming it with 'own' is like when people pronounce 'book' in the same way as 'tooth'. It seems wrong and it elongates the word too much for my liking.
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
You don't
Spoiler:
Show
Unless it *rhymes with gone
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
You are obviously not interested in the Coronation Stone, Stone of Destiny, the Stone of Scone, in which it is pronounced skoon.
username2088165
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I pronounce it as 'scon' (i.e. rhymes with con)
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de.../english/scone

Usage

There are two possible pronunciations of the word scone: the first rhymes with gone and the second rhymes with tone. In US English the pronunciation rhyming with tone is more common. In British English the two pronunciations traditionally have different regional and class associations, with the first pronunciation associated with the north of England and the northern working class, while the second is associated with the south and the middle class.

etymology:
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?...0&search=scone
Nirvana1989-1994
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
With 'cone'. That's the right way.
Sisuphos
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Scone like tone.
bulgylau
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
scone like con...:erm:
ddrrzzeerr
Badges: 17
Report 5 years ago
I don't like them and don't buy them so never say the word. I reckon the last time I said it would have been 10 years ago and that was probably only to have this debate.

However, if I were to say it, it would be scon.
Wirefox
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I say scone like cone
But I read somewhere that queen says it the other way.
I don't really think it matters; so I'll have mine with clotted cream Thanks!!
It's****ingWOODY
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
It's supposed to rhyme with gone. Anyone who says otherwise is a word that rhymes with hunt.
z33
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
wtf is a scon... the e is there for a reason
Platopus
Report 5 years ago
Wow, TSR is posher than I thought
Snowystar
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Usually when a vowel is followed by constant then again by a vowel the initial vowel is pronounced as the capital of it. Therefore I don't pronounce it as s-c-o-n but s-c-oh-n
the bear
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
like Skåne in Sweden.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (41)
23.7%
Note taking apps (5)
2.89%
Flashcards (31)
17.92%
Revision guides (5)
2.89%
Past papers (85)
49.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
3.47%

Watched Threads