The Student Room Group

How do you say Scone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I pronounce it like 'scon' but I bloody hate them, dense and crumbly and taste uncooked.
Original post by Snowystar
Usually when a vowel is followed by constant then again by a vowel the initial vowel is pronounced as the capital of it.

Ha! You mean just like have, river, liver, love, move, lore, fore, bore, bare, stare, fare, and not forgetting, of course, drivel?
Scone (cone) if it was (gone) it would have no E at the end. Scon

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its actualy con, google translate said 'S-CON' not cone.
Original post by Platopus
Wow, TSR is posher than I thought

It's not only posh people who pronounce 'scone' like 'phone' though. I'm from a working class family in South Wales and, while I'm prepared to believe that some other Welsh people pronounce it so that it rhymes with 'gone', I've only ever heard English people do that. I always thought the 'gone' version was the posh one.*:creep:
You don't say ice cream con, and you don't say stepping ston. Gone is pronounced as 'gon' but that word has no class (it's all gone). But a scone is full of it...get it right, guys.
P.S. I'm from a working class family. Nobody I know in my area calls it a scon.

According to a study by Cambridge, though, it might be a regional thing. Rhyming "scone" with "gone" is apparently mostly done in Northern England, Northern Ireland, and Scotland (my area of Britain is bright blue!)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
You are obviously not interested in the Coronation Stone, Stone of Destiny, the Stone of Scone, in which it is pronounced skoon.

How are they pronounced in this coffee shop?

http://scone-palace.co.uk/visitor-info/shops-and-places-eat
Original post by z33
wtf is a scon... the e is there for a reason :colonhash:

Don't tell me you also pronounce the h in archeology, the g in gnome, and the k in knickers?
Reply 29
Original post by WoodyMKC
Don't tell me you also pronounce the h in archeology, the g in gnome, and the k in knickers?

no but listen right
do you pronounce 'cone' as in ice cream cone as 'con'?
cos the only difference between scone and cone is an 's' slapped on the front of it - why does that change the pronunciation of the ending part :hmmmm:
Original post by z33
no but listen right
do you pronounce 'cone' as in ice cream cone as 'con'?
cos the only difference between scone and cone is an 's' slapped on the front of it - why does that change the pronunciation of the ending part :hmmmm:

Many words in the English language possess similar differences despite containing the same letters in the same order. For example, the 'one' in "gone" and "orgone" is pronounced differently - orgone is pronounced or-goan.
Anyone that rhymes it with cone is a bell whiff and should feel bad
I say both, depends on how fast I'm talking and who's around to judge me.
I'm Scottish so I pronounce it scawn. Rhymes with yawn.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Many words in the English language possess similar differences despite containing the same letters in the same order. For example, the 'one' in "gone" and "orgone" is pronounced differently - orgone is pronounced or-goan.

that is... very true :colondollar:
i've never heard someone say gone as in "gwon" though, or "goan" but I've heard both "sc-on" and "scoan" ... there's no straight answer as to why that is? it's just "say it the way you learned it"?
is it to do with dialect?
man English is such a weird language x_x
It really rather depends on who i'm with at the time, and how they pronounce it. Gets ever so confusing when talking with two people who pronounce it differently.
Original post by z33
that is... very true :colondollar:
i've never heard someone say gone as in "gwon" though, or "goan" but I've heard both "sc-on" and "scoan" ... there's no straight answer as to why that is? it's just "say it the way you learned it"?
is it to do with dialect?
man English is such a weird language x_x

English is a stupid language tbh :lol: Yeah it's just the way you learned I guess. Though, you could argue, that the Queen pronounces it "sc-on" and proper English is often called the "Queen's English" so :u:
I'm less posh so I rhyme it with gone lol
Reply 38
English is a stupid language tbh :lol: Yeah it's just the way you learned I guess. Though, you could argue, that the Queen pronounces it "sc-on" and proper English is often called the "Queen's English" so :u:

It's very simple tho - no grammatical genders etc. so it's easy to learn... at least it was for 10 year old me :lol:
lmao that's a bit of a stretch dontcha think :tongue: but sure xD
Original post by z33

For the same reason these pairs of words aren't pronounced to rhyme: ear, bear; dive, gerundive; hone, shone; eight, height; ache, moustache.

In the plough was through the rough, though wrought without a hiccough, the ough combination takes on six different sounds.

Quick Reply

Latest