Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    the UK top 40 in 2016 has been in the genre of ``pop music``, but is there like another term for it which narrows it down to a simpler genre term? I've liked the music in the uk top 40 this year and I think its to do with the music being in a similar genre

(ok its pop music but with for example there's rock music, but there's also say classical rock music, or hip hop music which narrows a genre down so people know what they're looking for when they're after similar song choices),

so what genre does the uk top 40 fit into atm? if there's a narrower genre it would help find other songs in the same genre

thanks (sorry if i don't use the right music terms, I think genre is the right term though for song types)

ReputationRep:
    Can you give me some examples?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by GUMI)
    Can you give me some examples?
    so mostly the stuff on the iTunes music Charts top 40 e.g. The Chainsmokers (most recent songs), Walk the Moon (shut up and dance), Lukas Graham (7 years/Mama Said), Dancing on my Own (Calum Scott), Reggie and Bollie (New Girl). Hold my Hand (Jess Glynne), You Don't know Love (Olly Murs), Adele (all songs), Ed Sheeran (most songs), Galantis (No Money / Peanut Butter Jelly)

I think most of these are pretty bouncy / songs to dance to
    just gone through my Spotify playlist which i'v been adding to when new songs have been released trying to find some artists I'm not really a One Direction person at all which probably isn't helping my music case :l

ReputationRep:
    In this case I presume pop means popular music (which covers all genres) rather than the pop genre. The two are used interchangeably, but they're technically different things. It's all about context.

ReputationRep:
    Chainsmokers - EDM
    Galantis - Big Room EDM/House

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.