Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How common do you think it is for men not to want children? I'm just wondering because I'm pretty certain I don't want children but getting married (or not; I don't mind) and living the rest of our lives together childfree is my preference. However, I'm not sure how realistic this is...Have you known anyone to not want kids? Do you think it won't be too hard to find them (outside of dating sites)?

I'm a woman and I don't want kids, as do a few other girls I know, so you should be able to find someone.

I used to think the same but then I realised having children is our only purpose in life.

ReputationRep:
    I personally know a couple who don't want any kids and they're young.
    I should think it won't be too difficult to find someone whose views line up with yours

ReputationRep:
    I'm like you. I'm male and I don't want children. It might be useful to become part of communities like r/truechildfree where you can find similarly minded people. Dating sites are also a good option. I think the best thing is to not stress, take opportunities when they present themselves and make it clear to the other person from the start that you are childfree to prevent wasting time.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'm with a guy who wants to get married but doesn't want kids and in the course of our seven year relationship, our views still haven't changed.

I would say the idea of people choosing not to have kids is becoming more popular but it's not the norm so it can be difficult to find someone with the same views as you but there are people like that out there so don't feel disheartened

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    50/50 you want kids or you dont

Kappa

ReputationRep:
    It's quite common i know a few people who don't want children. Not to be one of those annoying people who say "oooh you'll change your mind when you're older" but I do also know a few Individuals who were very much set on not having kids but ended up having them anyway when they were older - be this by accident or on purpose I don't know but they seem happy enough with their kids now!*

Whoops, I should have added that I'm a woman. I ask because I dunno if the majority of guys feel the same as the majority of women that I know who all want kids. Replying to above posts: I'm a bit hesitant to go on dating sites because I've heard bad things from them, and not many work out. To spocks, yeah, that was the response I was kinda hoping for - that it's more socially acceptable now, but it certainly narrows down my 'potential partners' lol. How did you two meet, if you don't mind me asking

Also, how did the first anon get to reply so quickly? I'm new here and every time I go on anon it says "wait for a mod to accept it" or something like that. I posted this question yesterday, and I'm still waiting for an anon response to show from yesterday too. Does this have something to do with managing trolls? Does the minority yet again spoil it for the majority - as before I joined I lurked, and most trolls would just set up a new account rather than go anon????
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    How common do you think it is for men not to want children? I'm just wondering because I'm pretty certain I don't want children but getting married (or not; I don't mind) and living the rest of our lives together childfree is my preference. However, I'm not sure how realistic this is...Have you known anyone to not want kids? Do you think it won't be too hard to find them (outside of dating sites)?
    Its fine. Therw will be plenty out there who dont want kids, so I wouldnt worry. We live longer and kids are more expensive. There will also be plenty who end up getting divorced who already have kids , but will not want any more.

Never sya never though because sometimes people change their minds. Either way is fine if its what you want.

ReputationRep:
    A small minority, increasing in the #MeFirst culture of post-feminism. No incentive vs. security in most relationships :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I don't want kids of (my own) either but I would be fine childless. I hope there are guys like that out there because everyone thinks you are "weird" if you don't want kids.

ReputationRep:
    Why be a responsible dad when you can be a cool uncle?

Nothing to do with the 'me' culture. I'd say it's far more selfish to bring a child into the world just because society expects you too. Someone to carry your name, your genes, and in some cases the parents living through the child. I asked my parents and especially my grandparents and their response was simple - dunno; it's just what you did. Add that to the high numbers of adoptive children (which, if I ever do change my mind I would most likely adopt), and the highly taboo subject of 'regretting kids' (thankful that the internet has provided a voice to those very real feelings in many people's minds), along with the increase in population, I hardly think the world's going to be too disheartened that my selfish attitude means I can focus on other selfless things in the world. And don't get me started on those who push them out just for benefits.

Java, yeah, I'm already an auntie. I err on the side of caution with the cool part... I do love them dearly though

ReputationRep:
    A lot of men think they don't want children but say their partner get pregnant accidentally and keeps the baby, they end up loving being a dad.

Eg Simon Cowel

ReputationRep:
    I don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I used to think the same but then I realised having children is our only purpose in life.
    It is if you make it so. lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm a woman and I'd like to have 2 or 3 children in the future, for me it would be a deal breaker if a man doesn't want kids.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 12, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.