Xenice
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi everyone. I have a few questions, and I would really appreciate some help. Please include explanations as well as answers so I can learn as well.

1. What's the difference between simplifying a surd and expressing the following expressions as a 'multiple of the smallest possible surd'. What would
√45, be for example.

2.See attached file. What topics would I need to look out for this, and how would I go about solving this? (Sorry for the rotated file)

To some people, it may seem really easy - but maths was not my strongest subject and i'm trying to change things around. Thanks in advance.
Attached files
username2207531
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Simplifying surds:

45 = 9x5
so
√ 45 = √9 x √5 = 3√5
asinghj
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
1) sorry have no clue,

2) jjust basic volumes of shapes (4/3 pi r^3 for sphere and length * width * height for cube
username1732491
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
1. They are the same thing.

2. Work out the volume of both objects and it should be obvious. You need to memorise how to find the volumes of common solids.
razzor
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Xenice)
Hi everyone. I have a few questions, and I would really appreciate some help. Please include explanations as well as answers so I can learn as well.

1. What's the difference between simplifying a surd and expressing the following expressions as a 'multiple of the smallest possible surd'. What would
√45, be for example.

2.See attached file. What topics would I need to look out for this, and how would I go about solving this? (Sorry for the rotated file)

To some people, it may seem really easy - but maths was not my strongest subject and i'm trying to change things around. Thanks in advance.
1) To simplify a surd, or as you put it, "express a surd as a multiple of the smallest possible surd", you need to come up with 2 factors of the number (i.e. 2 numbers that multiply to give that number) such that one of those numbers is square.
So, for √45, notice that we have 9 x 5 = 45 (9 is a square number, so we can use this)
so √45 = √9√5 = 3√5

2) You need to know how to find the volume of 3D shapes.
Volume of a cuboid: length x width x depth
Volume of a sphere: 4/3 x pi x r³
Calculate the volume of both shapes (which should be in terms of x) and then compare the two expressions you have to show that one is greater than the other.

I hope this helps!
Xenice
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by razzor)
1) To simplify a surd, or as you put it, "express a surd as a multiple of the smallest possible surd", you need to come up with 2 factors of the number (i.e. 2 numbers that multiply to give that number) such that one of those numbers is square.
So, for √45, notice that we have 9 x 5 = 45 (9 is a square number, so we can use this)
so √45 = √9√5 = 3√5

2) You need to know how to find the volume of 3D shapes.
Volume of a cuboid: length x width x depth
Volume of a sphere: 4/3 x pi x r³
Calculate the volume of both shapes (which should be in terms of x) and then compare the two expressions you have to show that one is greater than the other.

I hope this helps!
Thanks! This was helpful. )

Everyone else helped too, but this was the most detailed. Thanks.

(I'll rep tomorrow - no idea how to +rep on phone)

Posted from TSR Mobile
zainyyyyy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
give him rep

Posted from TSR Mobile
razzor
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Glad it helped you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (54)
29.51%
No - I have already returned home (23)
12.57%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (42)
22.95%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (16)
8.74%
No - I live at home during term anyway (48)
26.23%

Watched Threads