Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ive applied to do history at Manchester and my conditional offer is AAB. Was just wondering, do you think such high grades will put off candidates from putting this course as their firm choice? I know you can't get into Oxford and Cambridge with AAB, but i'm sure their are many more universities with greater prestige whose offers are AAB. Your thoughts anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    Ive applied to do history at Manchester and my conditional offer is AAB. Was just wondering, do you think such high grades will put off candidates from putting this course as their firm choice? I know you can't get into Oxford and Cambridge with AAB, but i'm sure their are many more universities with greater prestige whose offers are AAB. Your thoughts anyone.
    Well it depends why Manchester are giving out AAB offers. If it is because of the high demand, then clearly not as it proves that courses are very competitive. If it's because they are trying to improve prestige/status by giving out higher offers than demand/supply refelcts, then perhaps.

(Original post by trev)
    Given that their average entry grades (based on figures from The Times) are little more than BBC for History, I suspect that they are trying to create a demand for the subject through asking for high grades. I'm certain that they would not actually expect AAB of their candidates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Given that their average entry grades (based on figures from The Times) are little more than BBC for History, I suspect that they are trying to create a demand for the subject through asking for high grades. I'm certain that they would not actually expect AAB of their candidates.
    Those figures are slightly out of date though aren't they? Even so, I agree with you in general- I was reading something written by an admissions tutor (not history at manchester though) who said that he asked BBB because otherwise his potential students would think that other local universities who offered BBB were better- but in reality he would accept everybody who got CCC. So.

I think they only just put up the offer though, I'm sure it was ABB last year.

(Original post by Frances)
    Those figures are slightly out of date though aren't they? Even so, I agree with you in general- I was reading something written by an admissions tutor (not history at manchester though) who said that he asked BBB because otherwise his potential students would think that other local universities who offered BBB were better- but in reality he would accept everybody who got CCC. So.

I think they only just put up the offer though, I'm sure it was ABB last year.
    The figures are based on 2002 entry I believe. They should still be fairly accurate however because while the averages do fluctuate, they dont do so hugely within the space of two years. It is well know that admissions tutors play with the offer levels to ensure they have the best chance of snaring unwitting 18 year olds who think that high offers always equate to good courses.

(Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Points per A leve: 98.2 - so slightly under a BBB average
    So given that they asked for ABB last year, it would appear that the entry grades (in line with the asking grades) are steadily improving. This is a good sign for anyone getting on to the course I think!!!

ReputationRep:
    From September its a different university and from what I can tell they are putting up their entry requirments, so it may be more difficult to get in in 2004 than it was in 2002.

(Original post by amazingtrade)
    From September its a different university and from what I can tell they are putting up their entry requirments, so it may be more difficult to get in in 2004 than it was in 2002.
    Given that UMIST didnt have a History department therefore the UofM's will come from the Victoria University of Manchester, I doubt the entry grades and applicants per place will be dramatically affected (now for Elec. Eng. its a different story!!!).

ReputationRep:
    They want to be your firm not your insurance.

More up to date figures:
    2002 entry (the Times uses 2001 and the 2003 entry figures haven't even been sent off from universities yet)
    Manchester, History
    Points from A levels: 338.2 from an average of 3.4 A levels
    Points per A leve: 98.2 - so slightly under a BBB average
    Where did you get those figures from?

(Original post by Elle)
    Where did you get those figures from?
    *Mystery University*pays around £500 /year for those figures!!! Quite a privilage that we get to see them!!!

ReputationRep:
    *Mystery University* pays around £500 /year for those figures!!! Quite a privilage that we get to see them!!!
    But they also have to pay for a Pencil Queen to analyse them

ReputationRep:
    My big bag-o-stats(TM) bought from HESA for the bargain price of £456+VAT
    :eek:

wow! if you have the big bag-o-stats handy, could you let me know what the entry grades for European, International and Comparative Law were at Sheffield Uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    My friend got an offer of AAA from Durham as well as Cambridge for History, actually I think her lowest offer for History was AAB at York, and she has that as her insurance. Manchester is a very prestigious university anyway, another of my friends was sursprised to get an offer of AAB for History there, but she really likes it and so it's her firm choice. As History is such an oversubscribed course in universities I wouldn't think those grades are particularly high, and a lot of people in my Sixth Form were expecting to get an offer of AAB when they applied to universities like Manchester for History.

ReputationRep:
    What is the UCAS code (they're based on the first letter/number of the UCAS coding so all english courses are grouped into Q3, all history into V1 (or V2 and V3 in some courses cases)).
    It's M120 ... so M1?

shhhh
    See edits!!!

ReputationRep:
    hmmm - they don't have any data under M1, but they are listed under M2 (as is Soton even though our law courses are all M1 too - I have a feeling there was a mix up somewhere :rolleyes: )

For M2
    Average points from A levels: 392.6 from 3.6 A levels
    Average points per A level: 107.6 - just below half way between an A and a B (so a smidgen above ABB )
    Thanks!!!

I was hoping it would be lower.. seems like their not going to be too flexible if I don't get AAB.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all your help, i'm a little more reassured!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    Oxbridge generally give AAB offers to those who attend non-selective state schools.

(Original post by yawn1)
    Oxbridge generally give AAB offers to those who attend non-selective state schools.
    Opinion or fact?!? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Opinion or fact?!? :confused:

Fact!

You can check it out from that website on http://www.oa.waveflex.co.uk - if you can't take my word for it Look at applicant profiles.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.