Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, so I work at co-op and I've not been there too long, on a good wage and I work 6hrs every Sunday. However, I've just started sixth form last week and they've given me a bunch on homework to do which I wasn't expecting. I need advice..

Basically I text my boss yesterday and told him I couldn't turn up to work today due to all my work load, however he basically said it wasn't good enough and that this job might not be for me, so I asked to cut down on my hours so I can keep my job and also have abit more time to do school work. I've chosen very time consuming subjects, however they're the only things I'm passionate/good at. He said I couldn't cut on my hours and said it's all or nothing. So.. it looks like I'm going to have to quit, which isn't great but it'll be less stress for me and give me more free time etc.. so how do I write a notice? Also, once you've handed it in, do you still have to work until they find a replacement?

ReputationRep:
    Hi. As a mature student, a Mum to a 24 yr old, a 22 yr old, an 18 yr old and ex boss of 18 employees I get both sides of this quandary. If you haven't been in the job for long your manager could well be wondering why you took it on in the first place if studies were going to get in the way. It could be a while since he was studying and he could have forgotten the stresses of it all. His/her priority will be ensuring that they have enough staff to cover each shift.
    Anyway without getting too off the point it's usual to give as much notice as you pay period is. So if you're paid fortnightly give two weeks notice starting from the day that you write the letter. If it's weekly give a weeks notice. Same goes for monthly pay/notice.
    All you have to say is that your studies are more than you anticipated when you took the job and that you need to concentrate on them fully.
    Hope this helps and good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    well you can find sample resignation letters online

you will probably need to work 2 weeks since you're new, possibly four (check your contract)

but really 6 hours a week should not be difficult to manage alongside school and I'm not surprised they don't want to drop your hours... to what? 2 hours a week? it's not worth hiring you for that... I'd also be annoyed if you said you couldn't do a 6 hour shift due to school work, you have 48 hours of weekend, I doubt you have like 24 full hours of school work to do - perhaps the practice managing your workload would be good for you

ReputationRep:
    I worked 4 hours a week during year 13 and got good grades so I strongly suggest keeping the job and using Saturdays to do your school work !! You have plenty of time you need to just think about how to organise it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)

you will probably need to work 2 weeks since you're new, possibly four (check your contract)

but really 6 hours a week should not be difficult to manage alongside school and I'm not surprised they don't want to drop your hours... to what? 2 hours a week? it's not worth hiring you for that... I'd also be annoyed if you said you couldn't do a 6 hour shift due to school work, you have 48 hours of weekend, I doubt you have like 24 full hours of school work to do - perhaps the practice managing your workload would be good for you
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)

I understand what you're saying but art, textiles, english literature and psychology take up alot of my time, so I don't know whether I can handle it. But I do see where you're coming from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FudgeCakes)
    I understand what you're saying but art, textiles, english literature and psychology take up alot of my time, so I don't know whether I can handle it. But I do see where you're coming from.
    I did art, sociology, psychology and maths (all as full A levels, didn't drop any) and worked 12 hours a week, volunteered at least one afternoon and ran 10 miles a day and still had lots of free time - you definitely can handle 6 hours a week of work if you choose to, it's just about time management and realistic expectations... it will be good for you to learn to juggle responsibilities and to have work experience

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.