How much do AS Level grades influence university offers?

Watch
Glamdring5
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

In my AS Levels I got AABC, and whilst I think my predicted grades will meet the requirements of the universities I'm looking at, I'm unsure as to the impact that going into A-Level with AS level grades of AAB will have on whether I get offers or not. My B grade was close to the A, and I believe that I can bring it up to an A next year, but I'm worried I won't get offers based on this B grade at AS.

So how much will this influence whether I get an offer or not from my chosen universities, assuming that my predicted grades will be on target?

[If it helps in answering, I have decided to apply to study History at Oxford, Bristol, and KCL so far. However, my choices are going to be influenced by the extent to which I might be disadvantaged by my AS level grades.]

Thank you for any replies
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Glamdring5)
Hi,

In my AS Levels I got AABC, and whilst I think my predicted grades will meet the requirements of the universities I'm looking at, I'm unsure as to the impact that going into A-Level with AS level grades of AAB will have on whether I get offers or not. My B grade was close to the A, and I believe that I can bring it up to an A next year, but I'm worried I won't get offers based on this B grade at AS.

So how much will this influence whether I get an offer or not from my chosen universities, assuming that my predicted grades will be on target?

[If it helps in answering, I have decided to apply to study History at Oxford, Bristol, and KCL so far. However, my choices are going to be influenced by the extent to which I might be disadvantaged by my AS level grades.]

The B isn't going to help, given that a good number of other applicants will have straight A's. Otoh, it's not terminal and I think I know of one person (colourtheory ?) who got into Oxford for History with a B among their AS grades.

One tactic, btw, is to apply for those three unis initially and only add your other two after gauging the initial response.
colourtheory
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Glamdring5)
Hi,

I applied with the same grades at AS and finished with A*A*A and I'm at Oxford.. Unis are aware that students tend to under perform by a grade or two at AS. As long as you're predicted the grades, you're fine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.12%
No - I have already returned home (23)
13.86%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.29%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.04%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
24.7%

Watched Threads