The Student Room Group

At what age to Muslim men need to grow beards?

I'm a 15 year old male with a good amount of facial hair (not all has come through yet though) so I was wondering if I need to grow a beard at this young age? Also, does it have to be a specific length or will a small, stubble beard do?

Scroll to see replies

Nobody needs to grow a beard.
It's sunnah to have a beard i don't think it's compulsory. If you want to grow a beard maybe keep a short one atm considering you're only 15 then grow a longer one when you're older
Reply 4
As-salamu 'alaikum, brother

There is no set age at which a male should keep his beard. As soon as you have facial hair, you should keep a beard (barring medical reasons)

Yes, it is a sunnah in the sense that the Prophet (saw) had one, but from the point of fiqh, i believe it is wajib

IIRC, the four main madhahib rule that a minimum fist-length beard is required, but rhere is ikhtilaaf on other aspects of the beard
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
It's sunnah to have a beard i don't think it's compulsory. If you want to grow a beard maybe keep a short one atm considering you're only 15 then grow a longer one when you're older

It's compulsary
Reply 6
You don't need to bro. I can't even if I wanted to. So rejoice in the fact that you can attain a certain amount.
They are not a necessity, it's if you want to.
Original post by Zamestaneh
It's compulsary

How is it compulsory if not all men are able to grow beards. Is it just compulsory for thoes who are able to grow one?
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
How is it compulsory if not all men are able to grow beards. Is it just compulsory for those who are able to grow one?

Yes

Allah does not charge a soul except [with that within] its capacity. It will have [the consequence of] what [good] it has gained, and it will bear [the consequence of] what [evil] it has earned... [2:286]
Preferably when they're born.
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
They are not a necessity, it's if you want to.

Islamically it is fardh (compulsory) according to scholars, therefore it is a necessity; it's only if one wants to insofar as a Muslim wants to do any other obligatory thing like prayer, zakat, hajj or fasting Ramadhan.
TOP KEK
Don't get a beard if you're under 6 foot it's literally beta.

Just wait, get a mini beard, but keep shaving m8
Islamically it is fardh (compulsory) according to scholars, therefore it is a necessity; it's only if one wants to insofar as a Muslim wants to do any other obligatory thing like prayer, zakat, hajj or fasting Ramadhan.

What? Growing a beard is compulsory in Islam? No, it's not.

No its not compulsory. However, it is only 'recommended' to grow a beard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheUnknownDude
No its not compulsory. However, it is only 'recommended' to grow a beard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mustahab (recommended) means that it is not sinful if you do not do it but still rewardable if you do it. Hadith indicate it is obligatory to grow a beard and haram to shave the beard off, and a haram action incurs sin therefore not making it mustahab and instead something more; can you demonstrate that the first generations of Muslims believed it was only recommended or perhaps that shaving the beard is not sinful?

Original post by Carthaginian
What? Growing a beard is compulsory in Islam? No, it's not.

Read the above please.

Original post by Conceited
What'll happen if some bloke who can grow one decides he doesn't want to have a beard?

As far as I am aware, he is committing a sin if he shaves it off, so that is a sin he will have to answer for on Yawm Al Qiyyamah.
(edited 7 years ago)
At the age that you want to grow one. If you don't want one at all, then that age would be 130 or something, when you're dead.
Original post by fishy789
I'm a 15 year old male with a good amount of facial hair (not all has come through yet though) so I was wondering if I need to grow a beard at this young age? Also, does it have to be a specific length or will a small, stubble beard do?

When a Muslim reaches the age of puberty he is accountable for his actions.

The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said:

"The pen has been lifted from three; for the sleeping person until he awakens, for the child until he becomes an adult and for the mentally insane until he regains sanity."

Jami` at-Tirmidhi 1423.

Growing the beard is compulsory upon a Muslim man.

The Prophet said:

Trim your moustaches and let your beards grow

Saheeh Muslim 259.

Scholars have differed on if it is permissable to take from the beard. Some have said it is impermissable to take from the beard at all.

Others have said it is permissable to trim it to a fist length as this was the action of some companions such as Ibn Umar and Abu Hurayrah.

Some scholars say you can also tidy up off hairs that are abnormally long.

Allah Knows Best.

It is always best to speak to someone knowledgeable in your area with regards to these issues.
You must grow a beard by the age of 16 otherwise you will drop dead and the entire universe will implode.
do you live outside this forum ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending