Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I really want to get really good grades in all of my gcses and I feel that in one of my options, geography, I will not get the grade I want. I joined geography in the middle of the second term of year 10 (year 11 now) so I missed out all of the tourism topic and I've not really been able to catch up. I also feel like I didn't do as well as I wanted as I didn't actually manage to finish my course work (I didn't quite finish my evaluation), but I haven't received my coursework result yet so I might have done better than I think. I also didn't do any geography in year 9 so I have no clue how to answer any of the questions even though I've looked up how to do them I can never get full marks. I also don't have much of a passion for geography so I don't have as much motivation to study it. My grade in geography has been a B in year 10 but that's because I've been assessed on stuff I actually learnt in the classroom and in my final in year 10 I barely got a C. The other subjects I do are RS, history and German (+ English, maths and triple science) and I feel like I won't be able to remember all the material. If I do drop geography I will have four free periods a week (2hrs 40 minutes) and I could potentially study another subject (I was thinking GCSE Law). I'm going to talk to my form tutor about this but I also want to know what others would do in my situation. Has anyone been in a similar situation and if so what did you do?

EDIT: I also am doing an additional GCSE in Japanese, I forgot to mention. I also won't necessarily teach myself another GCSE if I don't get good results on the practice paper.

ReputationRep:
    I'd advice sticking with geography and putting in the hours after school to learn what you missed by reading through your textbook. It won't be that hard to catch up. If you drop geography and take up law you'll be a whole year behind in law, what makes you think that you'll be just fine doing a subject you've never done in only one year?

This picture is relevant bc of your username

Name:  strawbcat.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  8.4 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callum323)
    I'd advice sticking with geography and putting in the hours after school to learn what you missed by reading through your textbook. It won't be that hard to catch up. If you drop geography and take up law you'll be a whole year behind in law, what makes you think that you'll be just fine doing a subject you've never done in only one year?

This picture is relevant bc of your username

Name:  strawbcat.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  8.4 KB
    I've been trying to catch up but I keep on getting really long pieces of homework but it could be possible but I'm not sure. I forgot to mention but I have a basic understanding of law (I did a short law course) and I looked at the curriculum and I know a large part of it and in my opinion there's not much of a difference in catching up in geography or law as I've missed out the same amount. But I'm considering not doing law if I get bad scores on practice papers I'm also doing an additional gcse in Japanese (I always forget which gcses I do whoops) so even if I drop geography I still have the standard amount of gcses (at least for my school). But thanks for you reply! I'm still indecisive.

(That picture is so cute btw I might make it my profile picture if I can figure out how.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberrycats)
    I've been trying to catch up but I keep on getting really long pieces of homework but it could be possible but I'm not sure. I forgot to mention but I have a basic understanding of law (I did a short law course) and I looked at the curriculum and I know a large part of it and in my opinion there's not much of a difference in catching up in geography or law as I've missed out the same amount. But I'm considering not doing law if I get bad scores on practice papers I'm also doing an additional gcse in Japanese (I always forget which gcses I do whoops) so even if I drop geography I still have the standard amount of gcses (at least for my school). But thanks for you reply! I'm still indecisive.

(That picture is so cute btw I might make it my profile picture if I can figure out how.)
    If you have the standard amount of GCSE's I don't think it'll matter whether you keep or drop geography or take up law. So go with your gut feeling. If you think you'll do better with law then you should do it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.