Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Just wondering about TEFL. Has anyone done this? Where did you travel to? Did you get much support? I'd really appreciate any information you have!
    Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Summer!

I am in the same boat as you really and have been looking to get into TEFL for a while now. Where are you based? I am in Brighton and have been looking at various places but am currently considering these guys as I have heard a couple of very encouraging things about them https://www.theteflacademy.com

I have a friend who actually did a TEFL course and went off to teach in Italy, however; he did his course part-time over 6 months as opposed to the intensive 4 week course. My friend told me that on the course you receive a decent amount of support and that tutors are always on hand to offer you support and advice. He did tell me that in Europe you are expected to go into the state schools as well, which he said can be daunting and hard work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed Phelan)
    Hi Summer!

I am in the same boat as you really and have been looking to get into TEFL for a while now. Where are you based? I am in Brighton and have been looking at various places but am currently considering these guys as I have heard a couple of very encouraging things about them https://www.theteflacademy.com

I have a friend who actually did a TEFL course and went off to teach in Italy, however; he did his course part-time over 6 months as opposed to the intensive 4 week course. My friend told me that on the course you receive a decent amount of support and that tutors are always on hand to offer you support and advice. He did tell me that in Europe you are expected to go into the state schools as well, which he said can be daunting and hard work.
    Hi, thanks for your reply!

I will take a look at your link thank you. I am in the midlands so quite a distance from you. If you don't mind me asking have you got a degree? As far as I know this alters which countries are more likely to take you. I do have some experience of education although more in the primary years at present. Did your friend enjoy teaching in Italy? Did he have any horror stories?! Sorry for all the questions I'm just really curious!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summer50)
    Hi,
    Just wondering about TEFL. Has anyone done this? Where did you travel to? Did you get much support? I'd really appreciate any information you have!
    Thanks in advance.
    Hi Summer,

I did CELTA, which is one of the most widely recognised TEFL qualifications. It cost about £1500, but means I can teach in most places. I have actually stayed in the UK as my fiancee is here and doesn't want to move abroad! I've taught at a summer school with it however. I would advise you look at forums and, particularly, youtube as both have lots of resources on what it is like to teach TEFL. You give very little information about yourself, so it makes giving advice hard. What qualifications do you have? What stage of life are you at? How willing are you to move around? Do you speak any foreign languages?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.