Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm currently in a bit of an irritating scenario. I've had my place confirmed at Uni and was planning to go and do a degree, however, I've just received an outstanding job opportunity & I no longer want to go to university. My course starts on October 2nd, I have also signed a contract for accommodation. Has anyone else been through this? Will there be financial repercussions for not going in the first place? And if there are, what can I tell my Uni to get out of it?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Your only final repercussions is your accommodation, sell it. Your student finance isn't affected as you haven't used it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blakemeyrick)
    Hi,

I'm currently in a bit of an irritating scenario. I've had my place confirmed at Uni and was planning to go and do a degree, however, I've just received an outstanding job opportunity & I no longer want to go to university. My course starts on October 2nd, I have also signed a contract for accommodation. Has anyone else been through this? Will there be financial repercussions for not going in the first place? And if there are, what can I tell my Uni to get out of it?

Thanks
    In terms of your actual place at university, no. Your univeristy won't charge you tuition fees if you haven't started and you should phone student finance and tell them you aren't going to university, they wont charge you and you won't loose any future entitlement should you wish to go to university at some other point.

In terms of accomodation, if its university owned halls then the university may be understanding and not expect you to pay. However they may say you need to find a replacement or else you will have to pay and this is very likely to be the case for private accomodation. You can only find out for certain by asking though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    In terms of your actual place at university, no. Your univeristy won't charge you tuition fees if you haven't started and you should phone student finance and tell them you aren't going to university, they wont charge you and you won't loose any future entitlement should you wish to go to university at some other point.

In terms of accomodation, if its university owned halls then the university may be understanding and not expect you to pay. However they may say you need to find a replacement or else you will have to pay and this is very likely to be the case for private accomodation. You can only find out for certain by asking though.
    Thanks for your help! My accommodation is Uni owned, so hopefully I won't have to pay for that, it's just a bit of a pain as I only got my formal offer for my job yesterday.

ReputationRep:
    I am in the same boat, I applied to study HND in a college and filled my student finance application but my course starts next week.
    However, I phoned the student finance england and was told that they've received confirmation of enrollment from my college that I've already started my classes therefore; I can not cancel my application and need to contact my college.

I have not taken any classes as my classes will start from next week. The only option I have let is to withdraw or suspend from my college course and my question is would I still need to pay the term fee to college? can they charge student finance any fee?

I don't understand why the college has mentioned that I've already started the course with them and as per the college admission letter the classes are starting from next week. I don't know what to do....

PS: I still have not sent the declaration form to student finance england!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.