Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a place at UEA for Biomed this year but I also have the opportunity to resist my A levels and reapply for medicine at Imperial (having an offer there last year) and other places (I have extenuating circumstances that occurred throughout year 13 and Imperial have said they will reconsider my application) - I really want to do medicine but I'm worried spending a year by myself will cause my mental health to deteriorate and at the same im also worried that graduate entry will be a lot harder - Opinions? what should I do? Is graduate entry a lot harder than undergraduate?

ReputationRep:
    I know a few guys from that Uni who came out with firsts in biomed and then were accepeted into 2nd year med at the same uni for post grade entry when they graduated

Id rather resit A levels and apply to those uni's if there is a gurantee that they will give you a place for med.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeDMeD251)
    I have a place at UEA for Biomed this year but I also have the opportunity to resist my A levels and reapply for medicine at Imperial (having an offer there last year) and other places (I have extenuating circumstances that occurred throughout year 13 and Imperial have said they will reconsider my application) - I really want to do medicine but I'm worried spending a year by myself will cause my mental health to deteriorate and at the same im also worried that graduate entry will be a lot harder - Opinions? what should I do? Is graduate entry a lot harder than undergraduate?
    do not treat biomed as a means to get into medicine; only do it if you actually want to do biomed.

Firstly, it's an expensive choice- not least the £9k x 3 + living costs whilst not earning. THEN, doing medicine as a second degree is a disaster, as you basically don't get loans for your fees, so you have to pay £9k x 5 yourself each year. It is my belief things like NHS bursary for medicine won't exist within the next two years either.

Secondly, biomed is hard. this is exacerbated by the need to do exceedingly well to apply into medicine off of the back of it.

Thirdly, graduate entry medicine is extremely competitive. And, due to new GMC plans to speed up GMC registration (essentially bypassing F1), some universities are stopping the graduate entry courses (as they don't allow enough time to meet competencies required by the GMC under these new plans)

If you want to do medicine, it's worth taking that extra year out to get the grades, and do it the normal way

ReputationRep:
    As someone who has gone down the biomed route and is currently applying for GEM I would recommend, especially in your case where you have had extenuating circumstances, that you try your hardest for the retakes before trying for GEM. GEM is vastly more competitive, not least because there are much fewer places to begin with and that you are competing for spots with people from all walks of life and experience. Perhaps you might consider it if the retakes do not go to plan but I think your best option would be to focus on those for this year, get yourself a job perhaps to keep the mental stimulation going as well as expanding on medical experience if you like and just smash it this year with undergrad rather than trying immediately for the grilling process of GEM. As far as the rest of your application goes this shouldn't be a problem, especially as you had an offer once from Imperial so just work on smashing those exams! Good Luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.