Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I started my AS Levels quite well and was a high achiever for many months, never getting below a B grade in any of my mock exams, even at the very beginning of the year when most of my year were barely scraping Ds. However, at the start of 2016, I went through a huge breakdown. I was diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety and developed a drinking problem. I lost some of my closest friends because of this and spent every day in bed, not having the energy to do the simplest things. I started missing a lot of school and had frequent panic attacks in lessons, often having to stay in various teachers' offices during my lessons in order to calm down. I was put on Prozac in March, but I didn't cope well with it at all. My panic attacks increased and I became very paranoid and agitated over everything. My friends didn't know what to say to me and my teachers became frustrated over how many lessons I was missing due to my anxiety and psychiatrist appointments. In April, my aunt ended her cancer treatment and was given only a few months to live. She lives in Asia, so I knew I probably would never be able to see her again due to school and our family's financial situations. I reached breaking point at the end of April and I felt increasingly suicidal, I would be at the train station and I would have to stop myself from jumping because I had become so obsessed with death (if that makes any sense, putting myself in danger had almost become an instinct that I had to stop myself from doing). Two weeks before my AS exams, my head of year called my parents in to discuss my issues and I had to drop History because of everything going on in my life.

Since then, I have improved a lot, I feel like a different person. It feels crazy to me that I once felt like that. I feel happy, more alive. I've been put on a different medication which I feel is really helping me. I go out regularly now, whilst still maintaining a good studying life.

My AS results were ABC (Sociology, Geography and English Literature), which did disappoint me because in my mocks, I did a lot better, but I did go through so much which did severely impact my education. In English, I was 2 marks off a B and in Geography I was 4 UMS away from an A. I got A*A*AAAABBBB at GCSE (A*s in Geography and English Literature) and am currently doing an EPQ. It was always a dream of mine to study HSPS at Cambridge, but I don't see any point in applying now because of how badly my mental health impacted my AS grades. Even though, now I am producing A grade standard work and will hopefully be predicted good A2 grades based mainly on my AS performance (A*AB) I am so scared about university applications. I don't think Cambridge would take me into consideration, so I am thinking of applying for Geography and Sociology at Edinburgh and Leeds and Single Sociology at Bristol, Durham and maybe Sussex/Birmingham. Luckily, I have done a lot in regards to my subject (futurelearn courses on global inequality, political engagement, working with the Home Office, lectures and wider reading), so I don't think my personal statement will be awful, I am only concerned about grades. Will they impact my application even though I have extenuating circumstances from my AS year? Sorry this is so long, thank you x

ReputationRep:
    Really sorry to hear about everything you've been through, if the teachers at school know about your situation (or even just your head of year) then they'll include in your reference that your AS grades reflect what's been going on and they'll most likely mention that they think you're capable of achieving higher in A2. Your GCSE grades are really good and universities are more likely to take notice of them now due to the A Level reform, I'm sure you'll be fine but maybe it's worth talking to your head of year about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameliacaitlin)
    Really sorry to hear about everything you've been through, if the teachers at school know about your situation (or even just your head of year) then they'll include in your reference that your AS grades reflect what's been going on and they'll most likely mention that they think you're capable of achieving higher in A2. Your GCSE grades are really good and universities are more likely to take notice of them now due to the A Level reform, I'm sure you'll be fine but maybe it's worth talking to your head of year about it?
    Hi, thanks for replying. My head of year knows about it and my teachers know to some degree (they were all emailed to say that I was struggling and a lot of them have caught me in the midst of anxiety attacks) I've been told my predictions will be based off my AS results, which scares me a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LanaDelReys)
    Hi, thanks for replying. My head of year knows about it and my teachers know to some degree (they were all emailed to say that I was struggling and a lot of them have caught me in the midst of anxiety attacks) I've been told my predictions will be based off my AS results, which scares me a lot.
    Your predictions, if they're based off your AS, are A*AB??? I think you meet all of the minimum offers for your chosen universities with those predictions! Cambridge offer is A*AA which is only one grade higher and most definitely worth applying for if it's your aspirational choice, your extra curriculars will make you stand out as well so I wouldn't just give up on it A lot of people have got in with lower grades than you, but you'll be applying to 4 other universities which I don't doubt will give you offers.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameliacaitlin)
    Your predictions, if they're based off your AS, are A*AB??? I think you meet all of the minimum offers for your chosen universities with those predictions! Cambridge offer is A*AA which is only one grade higher and most definitely worth applying for if it's your aspirational choice, your extra curriculars will make you stand out as well so I wouldn't just give up on it A lot of people have got in with lower grades than you, but you'll be applying to 4 other universities which I don't doubt will give you offers.

Good luck!
    The only issue is my school don't predict A*s (even though I got nearly full marks in sociology) and I checked online today to see what my geography teacher had predicted me and I've been predicted a B xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.