Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why are there no openly gay footballers? Why are they no openly gay football socs? I only know of Gay Gooners, but when I went to Chelsea I could not find the gay Chelsea fan club.

Surely in the 21st century we are past the stage of stigmatising homosexuality?

ReputationRep:
    You can't really say that we are stigmatising homosexuality, it's not our fault that there aren't any openly gay footballers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vividly clear)
    You can't really say that we are stigmatising homosexuality, it's not our fault that there aren't any openly gay footballers
    I think the players fear coming out because of the terraces.

Also, I think internally there is a lot of gay haters in football teams and gay players would feel like they would be bullied or excluded because they are gay. Sadly, there will be little love .

ReputationRep:
    Don't St. Pauli have a gay supporters club?

I think it says something about the current game when a player doesn't feel he can come out while he's still playing but I don't think homophobia among fans is as bad as people make it out to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.Carnell)
    I think the players fear coming out because of the terraces.
    If a player came out I think the reaction would be supportive for the most part.

As was ours when Hitzlsperger came out.

That's this country though, couldn't see it being good for them at Zenit away.

ReputationRep:
    there is homophobia in football like sometimes I am guilty of it but its not intentionally to hurt a gay, its just shouting things like "**** off ref its a mans game!"....however there are fans that sometimes shoot stuff like sissy poof pansy etc which some of the snowflake gen might take offence to, but usually its all well meaning and not intended personally, just heat of the moment shouting. anyways, a lot of people have this 80s view of football that involve terrace punch ups and running at eachother etc in all standing stadia which is so outdated now. with the increasing amount og money and gentrification of the sport, this type of behaviour will cease to exist soon enough and a lot of fans wont tolerate another being openly homophobic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Don't St. Pauli have a gay supporters club?

I think it says something about the current game when a player doesn't feel he can come out while he's still playing but I don't think homophobia among fans is as bad as people make it out to be.
    I'm not gay, but I would want to see more openly gay footballers just because it would be nice to see people happy

Yeah, I do think that it's sad that in football clubs (instagram photos etc) where people seem like friends that in this environment the gay lads don't feel comfortable enough to come out to their mates and the public. Maybe it is not as nice as they make it all out to be and there may be some ********s in these teams that ruin it for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Homophobia in UK football is very low scale imo. Tends to be limited to away fans at Brighton winded up the natives (which isn't ok btw). Don't think many people go who actually have an agenda against gay people. Eastern European fans are generally genuinely homophobic, along with racist, bigoted and in many cases Neo-Nazi. Politics amongst most ultras groups over there is so backwards it's scarcely believable.

ReputationRep:
    Football terraces are often full of rough working class blokes who will heckle players no end if the player comes out.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's not worth the hassle.

I do think that if a few people come out and make a statement that's its ok to be gay it would be great.

Fans of the opposition will find faults regardless but I guess something like your sexuality would be an easy target. I'd probably say homophobia is less frowned upon than racism. Heck even people who aren't racist or don't marginalise sections of society have some pretty closeted homophobic views.

ReputationRep:
    Robbie Rogers m8

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.