Help/advice needed please Watch

NW8_SW1_EC3
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I have this friend who left school after GCSEs and has been working at a race track ever since. He tells me regularly that he regrets not doing A levels but NOTHING I say will convince him to go back to school now and do them, he is only 18 but he thinks he is too behind and can't get back into it all now.

So basically he wants to find a good company to work for which will take him on with just GCSEs. Does anyone know of companies that offer programmes like this? Any websites that I could show him that would help him find a decent job which will set him in a clear career path. The job he is in at the moment has no room for development.

Please share your advice.

Thanks.
Paranoid Kid
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
There are heaps of firms who don't require post GCSE qualifications. Why doesn't he sign on with recruitment agencies?
Vesta
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
:dito: Like JobCentre I guess?
.ACS.
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The best you can do is talk to him some more and get him to realise that going back to school or to a local college and actually doing A-Levels would be the best thing for him.

It’s not too late, and he’s only 18 for crying out loud! I’m in a very similar situation in which I’m 18 yet will be starting my A-Levels this coming September (and in the November I’ll be 19!). It’s never too late to go back and correct mistakes you have made along the way.

Indeed, what’s good now is that he should be more mature, having worked, paid taxes, saved (I presume), and properly handled a bank account. He will also have work experience which will be good.

However, and really, the best thing would be for him to go and do his A-Levels while he can. He needs to start them while he is 18 to be guaranteed free tuition for the two years, otherwise there is the chance he may need to pay the school/college.
silverbolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i never went to college and i worked my up througha company, qualifications are all well adn good but it doesnt compare to experiance.

If he can get into a larger company he can work his way up from the bottom if he shows enough iniative and drive to do so
NW8_SW1_EC3
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by Cadre_Of_Storms)
i never went to college and i worked my up througha company, qualifications are all well adn good but it doesnt compare to experiance.

If he can get into a larger company he can work his way up from the bottom if he shows enough iniative and drive to do so
That is exactly what he wants to do, he can't stand the idea of going back to school and studying, what he feels pointless material.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.51%
No (556)
60.9%
Not really bothered about them (188)
20.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed