Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Throughout school i always loved maths and found it fun got an A in GCSE but then started to find it a little difficult at A-Level but i ended up not completing mt Alevels anyway and went onto a finance apprenticeship. I have now enrolled back at college doing the access to HE course and still have dreams to be a maths teacher. I remember been told that a maths degree isnt actually as hard as ALevel.

1: is this true?
    2: would an access course student be accepted for a maths&education degree?
    3: am i been unreasonable about what i can manage?

Can someone please get back to me let me know, i need to make some decisions sharp and i need answers to these questions

Thanks in advance.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by EmmaW62)
    Hi everyone,

Throughout school i always loved maths and found it fun got an A in GCSE but then started to find it a little difficult at A-Level but i ended up not completing mt Alevels anyway and went onto a finance apprenticeship. I have now enrolled back at college doing the access to HE course and still have dreams to be a maths teacher. I remember been told that a maths degree isnt actually as hard as ALevel.

1: is this true?
    2: would an access course student be accepted for a maths&education degree?
    3: am i been unreasonable about what i can manage?

Can someone please get back to me let me know, i need to make some decisions sharp and i need answers to these questions

Thanks in advance.
    Maths at uni is very different to GCSE and A-level, apart from some specific areas. The other stuff doesn't really appear or just scratches the surface / starts as a foundation and then you quickly move onto theory.

Algebra and Analysis isn't to everyone's taste. They can be quite boring, disengaging etc, or you might love it - who knows. You should find out. Do some reading and see if the kind of study is for you. A lot if it is kind of memorisation but being able to apply it to 'very' unseen things - moreso than A-level.

A maths degree, in my experience once more, is much more difficult than A-levels but that doesn't make it impossible - it just requires a lot of commitment, interest and engagement. You're doing an access course which is fine but that kind of doesn't give you the chance to study Maths/ Further maths? I'm not really sure what it involves. But in any event, I would say if you have some time, study C1-C4 and FP1-FP3 which'll give you a small taste of the applied/computational side of maths.

I'm sure there's another route to think about, maybe having an A-level in Maths and then doing a degree (with the aims of getting, say, a 2:1 or above but I don't know a huge amount, being a 3rd year maths student :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for taking your time in replying to me Sean

Youve helped sway my decision.

Emma

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.