Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I come up with funds for a first car? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I turn 17 in December 2016 and I would like to start driving straight away. I have already bought a provisional license. The car I am after is a 2006 - 2008 3dr seat Ibiza 1.4 Sport petrolDon't get me wrong or anything, I am not a spoilt child or a snob, but my parents have said that they will pay the first year of car insurance for my car, I have been on insurance sites and entered the information correct apart from changing my age to a year older, and that I have held a full license for less than a month. I received quotes around £1500 which my parents said was a little higher than my brother's first year that they paid (£1100) but they have still agreed to pay it.So insurance costs are not a problem, the car with reasonable mileage usually goes for about £1500 - £2800I have done some painting work and carpet fitting and DIYing around the house (I'm very handy like that) and my mum paid me £200 for the lot. I also sold a few of my things on eBay including my PS4. My dad pulled me aside one day this week and said that he is very pleased and impressed with the work I have done around the house and he gave me £150 to show he also appreciated my efforts, he also said to keep it a secret from my mum as he didn't want to cause any arguments lol. So my mum thinks I have £650 cash and my dad doesn't actually know the full amount (Again, I don't want to sound like a rich kid or anything, my parents don't usually give me substantial amounts of cash just for nothing, this is for my backstabbingly hard work I did) and I am in a very good financial position for someone my age as i now have £800 in cash.I have applied for many retail jobs for places like PCWorld and Centre Parcs but I have yet to hear back about them after 3 weeks... I have estimated that my driving lessons will cost me around £500 before I pass, I've been really working hard on the theory and my mum has taken me to a nearby abandoned field to practise.I really hope you see the side of me that I see, I'm a resourceful smart young boy that has an ambition (again, I don't want to sound arrogant but that is the easiest way for you guys to understand me without knowing my personality in person) So my question to you all today is, what do I need to do ensure I achieve my goal of enough money for a car, do I definitely need a job? Because I'm doing 4 A levels currently (maths, physics, business studies, ICT) and having a job alongside that will probably leave me exhausted. What can I invest the extra £150 on that My parents aren't aware of? What products can in buy on eBay then sell for a higher price?

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you're any good with electronics I used to make a mint buying faulty retro consoles on eBay then repairing them, then reselling them. Works great, but can't say where to get parts since all of the places I used are back home!

But anyway, you should probably get a job. Your parents might pay the insurance, sure, but fuel is a problem too. Someone I know here bought a car without a job and couldn't use it after a week since they had no fuel money. Look into places with 0 hour contracts, like McDonalds, which I hear are great but the shifts are fairly long.

P.S Why are you buying a "sport" model as your first car? that's gonna cost more in insurance (hint: your NCD doesn't give you that much off, can speak from experience) as well as fuel. Are you sure you couldn't go with the next model down and save a couple of hundred on insurance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazamon)
    I turn 17 in December 2016 and I would like to start driving straight away. I have already bought a provisional license. The car I am after is a 2006 - 2008 3dr seat Ibiza 1.4 Sport petrolDon't get me wrong or anything, I am not a spoilt child or a snob, but my parents have said that they will pay the first year of car insurance for my car, I have been on insurance sites and entered the information correct apart from changing my age to a year older, and that I have held a full license for less than a month. I received quotes around £1500 which my parents said was a little higher than my brother's first year that they paid (£1100) but they have still agreed to pay it.So insurance costs are not a problem, the car with reasonable mileage usually goes for about £1500 - £2800I have done some painting work and carpet fitting and DIYing around the house (I'm very handy like that) and my mum paid me £200 for the lot. I also sold a few of my things on eBay including my PS4. My dad pulled me aside one day this week and said that he is very pleased and impressed with the work I have done around the house and he gave me £150 to show he also appreciated my efforts, he also said to keep it a secret from my mum as he didn't want to cause any arguments lol. So my mum thinks I have £650 cash and my dad doesn't actually know the full amount (Again, I don't want to sound like a rich kid or anything, my parents don't usually give me substantial amounts of cash just for nothing, this is for my backstabbingly hard work I did) and I am in a very good financial position for someone my age as i now have £800 in cash.I have applied for many retail jobs for places like PCWorld and Centre Parcs but I have yet to hear back about them after 3 weeks... I have estimated that my driving lessons will cost me around £500 before I pass, I've been really working hard on the theory and my mum has taken me to a nearby abandoned field to practise.I really hope you see the side of me that I see, I'm a resourceful smart young boy that has an ambition (again, I don't want to sound arrogant but that is the easiest way for you guys to understand me without knowing my personality in person) So my question to you all today is, what do I need to do ensure I achieve my goal of enough money for a car, do I definitely need a job? Because I'm doing 4 A levels currently (maths, physics, business studies, ICT) and having a job alongside that will probably leave me exhausted. What can I invest the extra £150 on that My parents aren't aware of? What products can in buy on eBay then sell for a higher price?
    good luck with that m8. I passed at 17 and i am 18 now. After you passed, insurance is ridiculously expensive ( i get quotes of £6000), unless you going to do that illegal shet which your parents agree too ( I am not going to say the key term because if I tell you and you dont know about it, i dont want you to do it cause its a risk of losing your license).

Anyways, even though I could afford 6k in insurance, Im not going to pay a ridiculous amount. probably gonna wait it out until 21 so that it goes from 6k to around 2k and when I hit 25, it will go down to probably around 400-800.

theres alot of things you could have done to improve in the car you wanted, but i am not going to explain it cause then Im just going to write paragraphs and paragraphs.

ReputationRep:
    Remember one thing: a second hand car always costs more than it's prize

It doesn't matter how old is this or what mileage. Very old and cheap car maybe really ok. after very little investments, while pretty expensive newer one may turn out a complete junk.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you want a car like that for your first one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazamon)
    The best way to earn money to pay for a car is to get a part time job.
    You may be doing your a-levels, but it can be done (i any many others had jobs and we worked out fine).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.