Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Are we supposed to know the definitions? like for contious data> and do we need to know about the statistical model?

Or

Does examsolutions go over everything you need to know about S1 including definitions etc..?

And can you explain discrete data I dont get it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shohaib712)
    Are we supposed to know the definitions? like for contious data> and do we need to know about the statistical model?

Or

Does examsolutions go over everything you need to know about S1 including definitions etc..?

And can you explain discrete data I dont get it
    Can't help you with examsolutions as I've never read it.

You need to know (and understand) what a statistical model is about, although the current (Edexcel) examiner doesn't seem to have the same fascination for testing definitions as the previous one.

Discrete data is for any variable where the values go up in jumps. most of these are just integers (number of children in class, exam mark......) but not necessarily. My favourite is shoe size, which goes up in 0.5 jumps - 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4,.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    Can't help you with examsolutions as I've never read it.

You need to know (and understand) what a statistical model is about, although the current (Edexcel) examiner doesn't seem to have the same fascination for testing definitions as the previous one.

Discrete data is for any variable where the values go up in jumps. most of these are just integers (number of children in class, exam mark......) but not necessarily. My favourite is shoe size, which goes up in 0.5 jumps - 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4,.....
    He goes over most of the spec via videos but doesnt talk about the statistical model nor the definitions

Do you need to know the advantages and disadvantages for the statistical model? will there be a question about it?

thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    Yes you need to know the statistical model process. As well as their uses.

I think there is a question that came up in a 2007 paper which tested this.

Check the spec for the other definitions you need to know.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    It is 12 am and I have just thought of this, so not sure if it is actually catchy or will make you start saying discrate , but number of crates of something is discrete - you can't have 1.5 crates. Dis crate is discrete. There xan be 1,2,3...

You need to be able to understand what continuous data is though, mostly for applyibg it in questions subconsciously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    It is 12 am and I have just thought of this, so not sure if it is actually catchy or will make you start saying discrate , but number of crates of something is discrete - you can't have 1.5 crates. Dis crate is discrete. There xan be 1,2,3...

You need to be able to understand what continuous data is though, mostly for applyibg it in questions subconsciously.
    bassically in whole numbers?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    bassically in whole numbers?

Yes. I think colours, car models etc count too. And continuous.. I guess you can think of a continuous line on a number line (i.e no gaps between whole numbers) so it can take any value. Eg height, weight are classic examples.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellomynameisr)
    Yes you need to know the statistical model process. As well as their uses.

I think there is a question that came up in a 2007 paper which tested this.

Check the spec for the other definitions you need to know.
    The question looks very simple TBH. So just learn the 7 steps and also pros/cons of it?
    Is the statistical model the same as mathematical modelling? it says "mathematical modelling in probability and satistics" in the spec

Thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    The question looks very simple TBH. So just learn the 7 steps and also pros/cons of it?
    Is the statistical model the same as mathematical modelling? it says "mathematical modelling in probability and satistics" in the spec

Thanks for the help
    Pretty much, yeah.

Yes they are the same.

Np

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.