Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

It's a week into my first term of college woohoo(!) and I am beyond struggling in my History class. You see, my first unit is the 'Stuart Britain and the Crisis of Monarchy' so it is based on historic figures such as Henry VIII, Charles I etc. This may sound shocking to a few (maybe not) but I have only really learnt about Henry VIII in Year 8-9 and I have completely forgotten everything I was taught. So in class, when the teacher asks questions regarding some of these figures I have absolutely no clue. It's worse because everyone else happens to know. I hate the feeling of being the only one who is clueless. I am currently attempting to do my homework which is to answer a series of questions, aimed towards Charles I, the Privy Council and what not and I am struggling so bad. I am unable to answer the questions. I really wanted to do History as I enjoyed it a lot during my GCSEs, so I would be saddened to drop this subject. But I'm losing hope. What do you think I should do? Should I drop out?

ReputationRep:
    Keep at it.

ReputationRep:
    That's how I feel now with A level tbh

ReputationRep:
    It's really difficult if you can't take it then drop out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by change06)
    Hi all,

It's a week into my first term of college woohoo(!) and I am beyond struggling in my History class. You see, my first unit is the 'Stuart Britain and the Crisis of Monarchy' so it is based on historic figures such as Henry VIII, Charles I etc. This may sound shocking to a few (maybe not) but I have only really learnt about Henry VIII in Year 8-9 and I have completely forgotten everything I was taught. So in class, when the teacher asks questions regarding some of these figures I have absolutely no clue. It's worse because everyone else happens to know. I hate the feeling of being the only one who is clueless. I am currently attempting to do my homework which is to answer a series of questions, aimed towards Charles I, the Privy Council and what not and I am struggling so bad. I am unable to answer the questions. I really wanted to do History as I enjoyed it a lot during my GCSEs, so I would be saddened to drop this subject. But I'm losing hope. What do you think I should do? Should I drop out?
    As someone who is now a mature student looking to finally go to Uni, I say NO. Keep at it, you have only been back a week and you can still catch up in half term etc. I dropped out of classes, first IT like you because the work became too much and then Geography because again and then I just dropped out. I am finally going to do the physics degree i always wanted to do and it feels great and it is all because for the last year plus I have done stuff every day to get back to where I should be. Just read an extra chapter from a textbook a day, read up all about it in advance, just make sure you dont skip a day, always find time. You will enjoy History again, it is a short term thing but dropping out will have a big effect on overall chances.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Hi all,

Err maybe read some books and do some research, then that will give you the knowledge you need to answer the questions. No need to feel clueless at all. It is not relaint onf what you studied at GCSE or before. You could catch up and read ahead in a matter of days or if lazy just watch documentaries. If you like history then it should seem less like work.

Talk of dropping out is crazy talk.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Hey! I'm also doing History for A-Levels. I've found my first week pretty good. I'm also doing AQA. I'm doing the units (1C, The Tudors and 2O, Democracy and Nazism). Keep at it tbh, you'll probably enjoy the more modern topic (Unit 2). You'll learn how to make History fun again whilst in the course, don't give up.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I struggled with A level history SO MUCH, I knew content but didn't get how to write an effective essay (didn't get the whole 'no right or wrong answer thing'. I got a C at AS. Struggled again in A2 (Cs in mocks), came out of my A2 exam and a AS unit retake sure i'd failed because everything went wrong... Come results day and it turns out I got a ****ing A overall (a in A2 exam, a in AS retake, B in coursework and B in AS unit I didn't retake).

KEEP GOING BROTHER!
    It's a really respected subject to unis and A levels are a bit of a shock from
    GCSE's

Also more related to your post- throughout both years everyone in my class seemed to know so much more than me about general history (1900s prime ministers🙄). Just remember you are there to LEARN, when you get taught more of your course listen and remember it because that is what you need to know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aklaol)
    Hey! I'm also doing History for A-Levels. I've found my first week pretty good. I'm also doing AQA. I'm doing the units (1C, The Tudors and 2O, Democracy and Nazism). Keep at it tbh, you'll probably enjoy the more modern topic (Unit 2). You'll learn how to make History fun again whilst in the course, don't give up.
    Exact same modules I am doing as well

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.