If I were to eat myself completely - Would I become twice as big or disappear?

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I do not know, but which one of the two is certainly to happen?
    I can't think inside the box, only outside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Officially_dp)
    You would die before you were able to complete your task as you'd eat vital organs in the process.

Assuming that didn't happen, you'd certainly not get twice as big as not all of what you'd eat would be use in generating new tissue. Some would be used for metabolic waste and some would not be digested and would simply pass through as fecal matter. Not only that, but we humans are not capable of regeneration.

ReputationRep:
    You'll become a stump, if you eat both your legs and arms. Your head wouldn't reach your abdomen to eat itself. So you'd just become a bleeding stump

ReputationRep:
    You'd become a giant stomach

ReputationRep:
    How could you eat your mouth? :sherlock:

ReputationRep:
    tell us how you get on ( while your fingers are still there )

Your person contains a certain amount of matter. Even if you eat said matter, it is still the same amount, altho it becomes chewed or mangled once you've eaten it. The only way to get bigger is to reduce the density of the amount of matter you already have, or gain more matter from somewhere else. Vice versa for getting smaller and disappearing.

ReputationRep:
    You wouldn't disappear or get twice as big. You would absolutely stay the same size.

ReputationRep:
    You can't.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    You'd die halfway through, and then you'd decompose. So after a good number of years you'd disappear completely.

ReputationRep:
    You'd turn inside out. Obviously.

ReputationRep:
    In a mental hospital

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure about any of the answers here. We need to bring this question before the greatest scientists of our country. They must have an answer.

ReputationRep:
    You would be twice as dense, therefore you would be twice as big. Think of a black hole and how much that swallows.

ReputationRep:
    It's impossible to eat yourself completely, since certain parts of yourself are essential for allowing you to continue eating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metalfros)
    I am not sure about any of the answers here. We need to bring this question before the greatest scientists of our country. They must have an answer.
    I have emailed Stephen Hawking, James Lovelock and Brian Cox to ask their views. The latter just 'cos I fancy him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    How could you eat your mouth? :sherlock:
    It freely interchanges with the posterior in some people.

ReputationRep:
    Assuming you coudl somehow eat yourself you woulnd't become twice as large.

When you eat the food doesn't stay inside. It gets turned into energy at some point. Otherwise you'd be as big as all the food you've ever eaten. If you were to eat yourself the "food" would be turned into energy at some point. Then naturally you reach a point where you can't eat your stomach and still expect it to hold food.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.