Vibrating steering - tracking off? Watch

recneps
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
When i accelerate to about 60-70mph, the steering wheel starts to vibrate. It didnt used to do this but i've had to drive up a high kerb a few times recently so was wondering if i'd knocked the tracking off?

The other option i thought it might be is that we recently replaced one front tyre but not the other. Could it be a wheel balance issue?

Any suggestions? The cars going into be serviced tomorrow anyway so hopefully teh garage can fix it, buit would be nice to know what they're likely to need to do beforehand so they dont fleece me for unnecessary work.

All ideas/help appreciatd
dh00001
Badges: 14
Report 11 years ago
could be a suspension fault. bushings or shocks :hmmmm:
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Maybe you shed a wheel weight?
Get the wheels ballanced and the tracking checked.
recneps
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advice so far. I'll ask the garage to do that when i take it in tomorrow (the list is growing... loose handbrake, loose strip on bumper, and all in a car thats not quite 3 years old yet )
Dripping-Blood
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My sister has the same problem in a Ford Ka2, Its the tappets that become loose and frequently need to be tightened!! When they are so loose they make the steering wheel shake, or vibrate as you called it. My dad manages to tighten them each time, with no problem.. But it is slightly annoying!
Cortez
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I had the same problem in my old car (same speed too!) and I just needed to get my wheels balanced which cost about £10.
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Dripping-Blood)
My sister has the same problem in a Ford Ka2, Its the tappets that become loose and frequently need to be tightened!! When they are so loose they make the steering wheel shake, or vibrate as you called it. My dad manages to tighten them each time, with no problem.. But it is slightly annoying!
Do explain to me how tappets interact with the steering.
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
ye that baffles me too :confused:

im gonna vote for wheel balancing.
tbm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I have exactly the same problem (yes, another one :rolleyes: ) with my Mini at the moment, was just about to post a thread until I saw this one!!! :p:
recneps
Rep:
?
Hopefully (crosses fingers) should be solved tomorrow. The service/mot place didnt do it, but next on the list is replace a couple of worn tyres so i'll get the tyre place to balance it tomorrow.

Apparently if the tracking was off the wheels would be unevenly worn, and this isnt the case on mine so guessing it must be the balance.
black_mamba
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
Maybe he meant non-engine related tappets. Hmm... :confused:
Minardi
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I get that. At that speed. But I can trace that to engine vibe, and 70 being warp factor 9 in a defender.
recneps
Rep:
?
Defenders do 70? Wow!!
Minardi
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
84 is top whack
recneps
Rep:
?
Ah thats not too bad. Whenever i've been in a defender on the motorway its been towing a heavy trailer so havent seen it get that fast.

Really want to get one eventually.
Minardi
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Top Machines. Just don't expect much in the way of comfort or speed.
recneps
Rep:
?
I've done a fair few miles as a passenger in a friend's. Plus driven it off road quite a bit, and virtually lived out of it for a weekend. He's looking at replacing it with a newer one... just wish i had the money to buy this one off him and run it (it needs quite a lot of work). Its a 110 with 2 rows of seats plus rear benches, but gets used for carrying stuff around more than passengers. Think it would do up quite nicely tho
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by black_mamba)
Maybe he meant non-engine related tappets. Hmm... :confused:
There's another kind?:confused:
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Minardi)
84 is top whack
Only if you're a nutter!

Last time I was at the pod there was a guy in a TD5 defender running. He was doing 27 odd second runs lol. They give up if you take longer than 30 seconds!!!
recneps
Rep:
?
(Original post by JC.)
Only if you're a nutter!

Last time I was at the pod there was a guy in a TD5 defender running. He was doing 27 odd second runs lol. They give up if you take longer than 30 seconds!!!
Well... they're designed more for moving heavy loads than acceleration.

Tie 2 tonnes of bricks to the back of the defender and tot he back of your car, then see which accelerates quicker :P:
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (137)
18.51%
No (449)
60.68%
Not really bothered about them (154)
20.81%

Watched Threads