Limit The Range Of A Function Watch

Swayum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Suppose we have a function y = f(x) which has a domain such that x >= 0 and xER (x is an element of real numbers). Is there any way I can make the range be 0 < y < 1 and that the bigger x is the bigger y is?
Chewwy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yes. of the top of my head, y = (1+tanhx)/2 would work.

all you need to do is think of a one-to-one function with finite limits, and transform it to suit..
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Or (2/pi)arctan x.

Edit: oh, x in the reals. Erm, ok... (pi/2 + arctan x)/pi. Or something.
Swayum
Rep:
?
chewwy, your one reaches 1 too quickly.

generalebriety, your one reaches 1 too quickly as well but if I divide by let's say 3pi then the new problem is that it increases too slowly.

If it helps 0 <= x < infinity.
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by DeathAwaitsU)
chewwy, your one reaches 1 too quickly.

generalebriety, your one reaches 1 too quickly as well but if I divide by let's say 3pi then the new problem is that it increases too slowly.

If it helps 0 <= x < infinity.
What are you on about, "too quickly"?
Chewwy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i don't understand... too quickly?

y = (x + (1+x^2)^0.5 - 1)/2x is a fine answer too.
Swayum
Rep:
?
What I mean is, if I let x = 100, it's too close to 1. I need it to sort of increase a bit slower. I know that there an infinite number of numbers so what I'm saying is stupid out of context but is there a way I could multiply a part of your function by a constant to make it work in context? The constant would sort of control the speed of increase.
SsEe
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
y = (1+tanh(x/10000))/2
Swayum
Rep:
?
(Original post by SsEe)
y = (1+tanh(x/10000))/2
I like that but, I know I've now changed the conditions from what I initially posted, at x = 0 it's outputting 0.5 when I'd want it to output 0.
Mathmoid
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
x \rightarrow 1 - \frac{k}{x + k}

You can then choose k to be where the function hits 0.5 as an easy to compute measure of how "fast" the function approaches 1. It's probably a faster function to calculate than some of the other suggestions if that matters.
Swayum
Rep:
?
Thanks, that should work I think.
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I like that but, I know I've now changed the conditions from what I initially posted, at x = 0 it's outputting 0.5 when I'd want it to output 0.
You said the domain of this function was R. Of course it's outputting 0.5, we all expected that you wanted it to tend to 0 as x tended to -infinity. :p: Otherwise, my original answer of (2/pi)arctan x works fine. If you want to scale it, (2/pi)arctan(x/10) or whatever.
Swayum
Rep:
?
Yeah I know, generale, I forgot I x>=0 when I first posted this. To the person who neg repped me for changing the conditions, I think that was a bit extreme....
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah I know, generale, I forgot I x>=0 when I first posted this. To the person who neg repped me for changing the conditions, I think that was a bit extreme but ok....
*shrugs* People will neg rep for all sorts. To be fair to them though, it's very annoying to be asked a question sometimes and then get told you've answered the wrong one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (157)
27.3%
No (418)
72.7%

Watched Threads