The Student Room Group

PGCE application from abroad - What experience is accepted?

Hey everyone.
Since I graduated in 2014 I've been in Hong Kong teaching English at primary level. Now teaching English is nice but I know what I really want to do is teach maths. So I decided I'd apply for PGCE starting 2017, ideally for secondary maths.

My question is does two years of teaching English in a primary school abroad count for classroom experience? Particularly when I want to apply for secondary maths. Does the subject/level of your experience need to match what you're applying for?

I've already started teaching in Hong Kong for this school year so I'm pretty much stuck here for this year. I'm worried if the experience doesn't count I'll have no way to get it in time for applying for 2017 PGCE.
As far as I know you need a degree in the subject you want to teach (at secondary level) and then can do a PGCE but check uni requirements.
Original post by MrPotato
Hey everyone.
Since I graduated in 2014 I've been in Hong Kong teaching English at primary level. Now teaching English is nice but I know what I really want to do is teach maths. So I decided I'd apply for PGCE starting 2017, ideally for secondary maths.

My question is does two years of teaching English in a primary school abroad count for classroom experience? Particularly when I want to apply for secondary maths. Does the subject/level of your experience need to match what you're applying for?

I've already started teaching in Hong Kong for this school year so I'm pretty much stuck here for this year. I'm worried if the experience doesn't count I'll have no way to get it in time for applying for 2017 PGCE.

Here are a selection of quotes from universities:

Goldsmiths: We also recommend that prospective PGCE Secondary students gain experience in UK secondary schools.

UCL: Applicants must also demonstrate a passion for mathematics and a commitment to, and enjoyment of, working with children and young people. This may be through voluntary work with young people and a minimum of five days’ recent experience in a non-selective, non-fee paying state secondary school.

UEA: Candidates should also ensure that on their application form they are able to demonstrate that they have gained recent experience, with children of the relevant age range, in the mainstream school environment. Secondary applicants should have experience across the secondary age range, within their chosen subject.

So from the looks of things it seems you would be at a disadvantage without UK, secondary based experience.

You also need to sit and pass skills tests in Maths and English before your place at university is made unconditional, I don't know whether that can be taken abroad.
(edited 7 years ago)
The best thing to do would be to contact providers. As you are in HK, there are almost definitely going to be some schools that teach GCSE/A-levels. If you got a few days in a British curriculum secondary school, I'd imagine that may well suffice as maths is a shortage subject. Some people I knew doing maths had minimal experience. Whilst your skills test might be an issue, you'd have to contact the provider to see if you can take it in a test centre in HK (or possibly at the embassy) or whether you'd need to pop over to Britain (not cheap, but if it is a one off thing).

There are a few other ways of getting into teaching that might also appeal to you more as you've already got some experience: http://www.iscteachertraining.co.uk/ and http://premierpathways.co.uk/ both come to mind.
Reply 4
I taught English IGCSE/IB in an international school in France for 5 years before embarking on gaining QTS via the assessment only route (to qualify as a secondary English teacher under UK standards).

I still had to do a two-week placement in a British secondary school before I could qualify.

So your experience will count for a little, but ultimately not cut it. I would still recommend getting a job in an international secondary school in HK - but you will still be asked to do a placement. A 2-weeker is the legal minimum IIRC.

As yet you cannot do your skills tests overseas either (I had to return to England to do mine; this was in 2014). They are looking into opening it up so that candidates can do them at test centres abroad but this is still a long way off/very much in the pipeline.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
You should consider the Schools direct route. I have no experience in UK secondary schools at all - my experience is all TEFL for adults but I got multiple offers and there is at least one other person with exactly the same background on my course. Schools will value your teaching experience wherever you have got it - two years teaching TEFL is a lot more valuable than 2 weeks spent in a secondary school observing which is what a lot of new trainees have. You will come with a lot of teaching skills already and they are there to train you in the ones you don't have. If you apply to schools direct courses which have associated schools with a lot of EAL pupils then your skills will be particularly in demand.
Reply 6
^^ Just to clarify, I am not saying that your 2 years of TEFL is not valuable to course providers. But 2 weeks in a UK school is the legal minimum before you can be awarded QTS - just wanted to make that clear as the way I said it before made it sound like it was the legal minimum for entry to a training programme.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending