Plagiarism in Personal Statement. Help

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I recently checked my personal statement for Plagiarism using one of the free online plagiarism checkers. It showed 9% Plagiarism which worries me. The lines which it showed as unoriginal were:

- I am interested in new developments in ------ and ------- .
    - I now follow "this book" by "------".

Should I be concerned about this?

I used the following by the way: http://smallseotools.com/plagiarism-checker/

Thanks in advance. :d

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tangotangopapa2)
    I recently checked my personal statement for Plagiarism using one of the free online plagiarism checkers. It showed 9% Plagiarism which worries me. The lines which it showed as unoriginal were:

Not at all. That could literally be from anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    Not at all. That could literally be from anything.
    It is the UCAS software that detects unoriginal work not the human, isn't it? How does it decide which one to accept and which one to not?

ReputationRep:
    It is the UCAS software that detects unoriginal work not the human, isn't it? How does it decide which one to accept and which one to not?
    Where did you hear that? If that is indeed true, just change a word. Simple.
    Plus I'm sure that if it WAS to be flagged for plagiarism, a real human would step in to analyse and see if there's cause for concern.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    Plus I'm sure that if it WAS to be flagged for plagiarism, a real human would step in to analyse and see if there's cause for concern.
    Correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maybe change a word to be safe but it shouldn't be flagged as it is a really common phrase.

ReputationRep:

Do not be concerned , UCAS only flags a personal statement if it is above 40% plagiarised

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halliethestudent)
    Do not be concerned , UCAS only flags a personal statement if it is above 40% plagiarised

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Actually it's above 10% it's checked by a person (see here: https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/f...cant-guide.pdf )

ReputationRep:
    Lol, chill.

ReputationRep:

i think the plagiarism checker you used is utter rubbish.I just put my personal statement in it and there is two lines that i have used from other sources and they didn't fag up as plagiarized but there were a few lines that were definitely completely unique to me and nobody else would have written and they flagged up as plagiarised so i think its a scam

ReputationRep:
    i think the plagiarism checker you used is utter rubbish.I just put my personal statement in it and there is two lines that i have used from other sources and they didn't fag up as plagiarized but there were a few lines that were definitely completely unique to me and nobody else would have written and they flagged up as plagiarised so i think its a scam
    That can only ever be an indicate as different plagiarism checkers will potentially look at different sources

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    That can only ever be an indicate as different plagiarism checkers will potentially look at different sources
    I'm aware of that, your input isn't helpful or neccessary

ReputationRep:
    I'm aware of that, your input isn't helpful or neccessary
    You might know that, but the OP or other users may not be aware, so it could be helpful for them

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.