Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok!

So for the last year I have ran and owned a 2005 JCW Mini and it was mint! But this year the insurance came in at over 1000 pounds.
    As a petrol head I like wuick cars so I started to look around and set my sights on a BMW Z3 with a 3.0 L petrol engine. Ran the insurance and it's 350 pounds cheaper than my mini!!!! Why is this?!!
    The mini is a 1.6 Supercharged and pushes out about 225bhp whereas the Z3 pushes 235 ish.

Cheers!

(Original post by MightyPlym)
    Ok!

So for the last year I have ran and owned a 2005 JCW Mini and it was mint! But this year the insurance came in at over 1000 pounds.
    As a petrol head I like wuick cars so I started to look around and set my sights on a BMW Z3 with a 3.0 L petrol engine. Ran the insurance and it's 350 pounds cheaper than my mini!!!! Why is this?!!
    The mini is a 1.6 Supercharged and pushes out about 225bhp whereas the Z3 pushes 235 ish.

Cheers!
    Dam I would expect at least 100hp per litre for a modern car. Anyway price can vary astronomically for the same car, for the same customer so we can expect no different for a change of car. I had a ridiculous renewal quote of over a grand, an increase of £800. Didnt completely surprise me as these things are quite common in the world of insurance. I just went somewhere else and got insurance for 150ish.

Do not try to understand the hows and whys of insurance pricing. Your better off studying quantum physics instead, way easier to get your head around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MightyPlym)
    Ok!

Cheers!
    Insurance companies have weird ways of working things out.
    Different cars obviously cost different amounts to insure. In the insurance companies eyes- you are less likely to be involved in a crash in the bmw. Factors such as security features are also taken into account when calculating prices.

ReputationRep:
    Minis have a reputation for being a pain in the arse to fix and mechanics and garages often charge more to fix them than most other cars of the same value. Hence the higher insurance price.

ReputationRep:
    Newer cars are frequently cheaper to insure because they are in a good and safe condition and insurers like to imagine people are less mental in them.
    Did you reach an age threshold?
    Is your comparison with the same company? If not; your old company might not like you any more.
    Have you changed jobs? Different jobs are considered as different risks. Accountant = good. Hairdresser = bad, or whatever.
    Are Minis statistically more likely to be involved in accidents or get stolen?

There are loads of variables, so many that insurers have dozens of mathematical super brains working for them to assess risk. They keep them in special underground places with lots of brown furniture, beige walls and avocado toilet suites to keep them there. They never want to leave.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.