Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was just curious whether a laptop is needed for this course. Would this be a better option for note taking? Would this help with coding/compiling wherever i am and whenever? Won't require me to constantly access the computer labs?

ReputationRep:
    I took a fairly powerful bulky laptop with me to uni to basically use as my own desktop in my room. The labs are pretty much sufficient for coursework, but I couldn't not have my own computer, even if I weren't doing comp sci. I didn't take my laptop out with me, but if you particularly like taking notes on a computer then obviously that's an option, but I suppose that would work better with a slightly more portable laptop than the one I had.

ReputationRep:
    Having your own computer will definitely give you flexibility, but it's by no means a prerequisite. I know people who went the whole 3 years without bringing them own machine in, just using the lab computers. It's fine and do'able, but you might have to work at weird hours (think evening or early morning) to guarantee a lab computer be available.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stephen P)
    I was just curious whether a laptop is needed for this course. Would this be a better option for note taking? Would this help with coding/compiling wherever i am and whenever? Won't require me to constantly access the computer labs?
    Why wouldn't you take a laptop with you? You can work on whatever you want how you want, when you want, where you want. Seems extremely advantageous to take a laptop with you.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a PC atleast?

Edit: as in desktop

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigboateng_)
    Do you have a PC atleast?

Edit: as in desktop

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes i do, which is what i am currently using. Considering to upgrade for multiple monitors and minor gaming.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Yes i do, which is what i am currently using. Considering to upgrade for multiple monitors and minor gaming.
    Take your PC, then. The only thing you will miss out on is mobility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Take your PC, then. The only thing you will miss out on is mobility.
    I forgot to say that i will be living at home.

ReputationRep:
    I forgot to say that i will be living at home.
    No a laptop is not needed then. It helps, i would get one anyway as you'll need it some point in life, but desktops always superior.

ReputationRep:
    But the thing is yes there are computer labs that you can use but sometimes its booked for other modules as well, so its not like you will get access 24/7. And its not like you will be living on campus where you can go home if you really need one. I'd suggest you invest in some cheap windows laptop and put ubuntu on it. Cos sometimes you might wanna try something during the lecture in programming modules, or you might even go to a hackaton, which is a MUST if you're a cs student.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for the feedback. It looks like i will be investing in a laptop .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.