Financial information issue

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I started applying for student finance a couple weeks late, since then there has been nothing but issues. I finally thought I had got all the information through about a week ago, but I called them today and they're now saying that my stepdad's financial information does not match up properly, even though that's one of the first things they've got. Ranting aside I am growing ever more worried that I will not get my tuition loan or my maintenance in time, and I was wondering if it could still take six weeks to process even though they have the rest of my information.
    I have just under two weeks before I really am going to need it, and I can't send the required information until I get the letter they sent me, which will hopefully be tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suiagg)
    I started applying for student finance a couple weeks late, since then there has been nothing but issues. I finally thought I had got all the information through about a week ago, but I called them today and they're now saying that my stepdad's financial information does not match up properly, even though that's one of the first things they've got. Ranting aside I am growing ever more worried that I will not get my tuition loan or my maintenance in time, and I was wondering if it could still take six weeks to process even though they have the rest of my information.
    I have just under two weeks before I really am going to need it, and I can't send the required information until I get the letter they sent me, which will hopefully be tomorrow.
    The Tuition Fee Loan shouldn't be an issue. Unis are generally sympathetic to delays as long as you can show that your application is progressing.

Maintenance Loan delays, you can't do anything about. If your stepfather submitted financial info which does not match what he's told HMRC, then SF will seek an explanation and ask for more evidence. As he's the person who has effectively caused your problem, perhaps he would give you a bridging loan, to be repaid when your SF money arrives?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    The Tuition Fee Loan shouldn't be an issue. Unis are generally sympathetic to delays as long as you can show that your application is progressing.

Maintenance Loan delays, you can't do anything about. If your stepfather submitted financial info which does not match what he's told HMRC, then SF will seek an explanation and ask for more evidence. As he's the person who has effectively caused your problem, perhaps he would give you a bridging loan, to be repaid when your SF money arrives?
    The whole reason for applying for student finance is that we don't have enough money otherwise, I mean they's happily give me the money if they could they're my parents not a bank, even if they could I wouldn't really feel comfortable asking for things like freshers week, that'd just seem like taking advantage. My main question is if there is absolutely any chance of it all getting sorted by October.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suiagg)
    My main question is if there is absolutely any chance of it all getting sorted by October.
    There must be a chance of that, yes. How good a chance, we have no way of knowing. At this point SF are over the main bulk of application processing. So in that respect, you may have more of a chance of speedy resolution. However if they have geared back the number of staff in that department accordingly, your chances may be no better than before.

SF quote 6 weeks for processing straightforward paperwork and are frequently faster, but you're now into a more complicated situation. If they accept your new/revised evidence (and importantly, if that now does match your stepfather's tax records) then it could be sorted in a matter of days. If the new info just raises more questions and/or still doesn't match, you/your stepfather may be asked for further evidence and the process could be extended.

There are a lot of variables. Too many to be able to predict with any certainty. Sorry.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Applying to university
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.